Verifying Simple Quadrupole Field Not in Lorenz Gauge?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of reproducing results regarding gravitational waves in Wald's General Relativity. The user is trying to verify if a simple field generated by a variable mass quadrupole satisfies the Lorenz gauge, but encounters discrepancies. The expert suggests that the issue may lie in the assumption that the far-field automatically satisfies the Lorenz gauge and recommends looking into a general transformation to obtain a metric tensor that is manifestly in harmonic coordinates.
CharlesJQuarra
I'm having trouble reproducing some of the results regarding gravitational waves in the Wald's General Relativity

In section 4.4 of gravitational radiation, eq.4.4.49 shows the far-field generated by a variable mass quadrupole:

$$ \gamma_{i j}(t,r)=\frac{2}{3R} \frac{d^2 q_{i j}}{dt^2} \bigg|_{t'=t-R/c} $$

I want to verify that this simple field satisfies the Lorenz gauge (eq.4.4.25)

$$\partial_{i} \gamma_{i j}=0 $$
I wrote the ##q_{i j}## for a simple rotating binary
##\ddot{q}_{i j} =##
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \omega^2 \cos{2\omega(t-R/c)} & - 2 \omega^2 \sin{2\omega(t-R/c)} & 0 \\
- 2 \omega^2 \sin{2\omega(t-R/c)} & - 2 \omega^2 \cos{2\omega(t-R/c)} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}

then, I wrote ##R=\big|(x,y,z)\big|####\partial_{i} \gamma_{i 3}## trivially cancels, but when I compute the other components of the divergence I get

$$ \partial_{i} \gamma_{i 1} = \frac{2 \omega^2([-c x+2 y R \omega]\cos{2\omega(t-R/c)}+[c y+2 x R \omega]\sin{2\omega(t-R/c)})}{c R^3} $$

$$ \partial_{i} \gamma_{i 2} = \frac{2 \omega^2([c y+2 x R \omega]\cos{2\omega(t-R/c)}+[c x-2 y R \omega]\sin{2\omega(t-R/c)})}{c R^3} $$

Which as you might have noticed, are not zero in general

Given that the Lorenz gauge is used everywhere one wants to study gravitational wave propagation, it seems unexpected that the far-field of a simple binary quadrupole is not automatically in the Lorenz gauge

Question: I want to understand what is wrong here, if there is anything wrong. Am I wrong/naive in expecting this simple physical system field to be in the Lorenz gauge? Is there a simple transformation that can be applied to this field in order to be manifestly in harmonic coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I understand your frustration with not being able to reproduce the results regarding gravitational waves in Wald's General Relativity. it is important to thoroughly investigate and understand any discrepancies in our findings.

After reviewing your calculations, I do not see any errors in your approach. However, I believe the issue lies in the assumption that the far-field generated by a variable mass quadrupole automatically satisfies the Lorenz gauge. While this may be true in some cases, it is not a general rule.

In fact, the Lorenz gauge is a gauge condition that is imposed on the metric tensor, not the gravitational wave itself. It ensures that the equations of motion for the metric tensor are consistent with the wave equation for gravitational waves. Therefore, it is possible for the far-field to not automatically satisfy the Lorenz gauge.

I suggest looking into the general transformation for a metric tensor to be in harmonic coordinates, which is the equivalent of the Lorenz gauge in General Relativity. This transformation involves a coordinate transformation and a metric transformation. By applying this transformation to your far-field, you should be able to obtain a metric tensor that is manifestly in harmonic coordinates.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the issue. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any assistance in applying the transformation.

1. What is a "simple quadrupole field"?

A simple quadrupole field is a type of electromagnetic field that has four poles, with two opposite poles being of equal strength and the other two opposite poles being of equal but opposite strength. This type of field is commonly used in particle accelerators and other scientific experiments.

2. What is the Lorenz gauge?

The Lorenz gauge is a mathematical condition used in electrodynamics that ensures that the equations of motion for electromagnetic fields are consistent with the theory of relativity. It states that the divergence of the vector potential must be equal to the negative of the time derivative of the scalar potential.

3. Why is it important to verify that a simple quadrupole field is not in Lorenz gauge?

Verifying that a simple quadrupole field is not in Lorenz gauge is important because it ensures that the field is accurately described by the equations of motion and is consistent with the theory of relativity. If the field is not in Lorenz gauge, it may lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of experimental results.

4. How is the verification of a simple quadrupole field done?

The verification of a simple quadrupole field involves solving the equations of motion for the field and checking if they satisfy the Lorenz gauge condition. This can be done analytically or numerically using computer simulations.

5. What are the practical applications of verifying a simple quadrupole field not in Lorenz gauge?

The practical applications of verifying a simple quadrupole field not in Lorenz gauge include ensuring the accuracy of experimental results in particle accelerators and other scientific experiments, as well as improving our understanding of electromagnetic fields and their behavior. This can also lead to the development of more efficient and precise experimental techniques in the future.