Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical Jump Kinetics

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    I'm working on a problem that analyzes vertical jump kinetics. I have a data file that has force plate data and corresponding time steps when a person jumped straight up and then landed on a force plate. I also have the vertical distance that the person jumped.

I want to calculate:
    1. The work done to move the body (in the jump)
    2. The potential energy gain at the highest point in the jump
    3. The impulse created on the force plate

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2
    If this is homework or an assignment, then I can't give you answers directly, you'll have to work a little harder for that, but here are some hints:
    1. In a vertical jump, what is the total displacment if the jumper leaves and returns to the same position, remember that W=Fd, Work is force mulitplied by displacement.
    2. what is the standard form used for potential energy? Kinetic energy, for example, is E=1/2mv²
    3. Impulse is also known as the change of momentum, what do the momentum equation and the impulse equation look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook