Vertical Motion Scenario Solving for Velocity

In summary, Agent 001 chases down and catches LateforClass after he jumps out of a window and accelerates at 10m/s^2. The final velocity of 001 is 16m/s^2 and the distance he travels is 154m.
cassc94

Homework Statement

Agent 001 is on another mission... to stop Mr. LateforClass's ploy to threaten mankind with a moon based "Space" Laser, which is powered by rezigrene batteries. 001 tracks LFC for several months and finally finds him on the 2nd floor of an old run down factory. LFC jumps out of a window to escape from 001, and accelerates at 10m/s^2 w/ his rocket pack (initial velocity is 0m/s). 001 is directly 20m below LFC, when he too fires his rocket pack after his 0.75s reaction time, and gives chase (initial velocity 0m/s, acceleration of 16m/s^2). Calculate the final velocity of 001 when he catches LFC and also find the distance 001 travels.

Homework Equations

V2^2 - V1^2 = 2(a)(d)
d = (v1)t + 0.5(a)(t^2)
d = (v2)t - 0.5(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the same question except with different accelerations/times/velocities. Earlier i solved it with a table showing their distance over each second, which helped me find the time of their equal distance. This scenario is more difficult particularly because of his 0.75second reaction time. I thought to construct a graph to find the time, but when i plugged it into the equation as seen on my page i get 124...which is not even near what my graph indicates.

My graph shows that they intersect at about 154m of height after about 4.7 seconds.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Is there any other way i can get a more accurate answer for either time or distance? I can't use the above equations to solve anything without one or the other..

Attachments

• 20130213_145511.jpg
    20130213_145511.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 376
  • 20130213_151848.jpg
    20130213_151848.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't use the above equations to solve anything without one or the other..
You can, if you start at t=0.75 seconds, for example. In addition, you need an initial position there.

I solved it! Thanks for the thought though!

1. What is vertical motion scenario solving for velocity?

Vertical motion scenario solving for velocity is a scientific method used to determine the velocity of an object in a vertical motion scenario, such as a falling object or a projectile launched into the air.

2. How is velocity calculated in vertical motion scenarios?

Velocity in vertical motion scenarios is calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s², which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect velocity in vertical motion scenarios?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the velocity of an object in a vertical motion scenario. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the object as it falls or moves through the air.

5. Can vertical motion scenario solving for velocity be used for objects moving in a horizontal direction?

No, vertical motion scenario solving for velocity is specifically used for objects moving in a vertical direction due to the constant acceleration of gravity. For objects moving horizontally, a different set of equations and calculations would need to be used.