Very basic physics (mechanics) question

In summary, to find the mass of the 8.5 m long structural I beam made of steel, we need to first calculate the surface area of the cross-section shown in Figure P1.11. Then, we can find the volume by multiplying the area by the length. Using the density of steel, we can then calculate the mass of the beam to be approximately 6.38 kg.
itzela
A structural I beam is made of steel. A view of its cross-section and its dimensions are shown in Figure P1.11. The density of steel is 7.56 * 10^3 kg/m^3. What is the mass of the section 8.5 m long?

Figure P1.11 (shown below)

I tried doing this by:
1) changing the 8.5 m into cm... giving me 850 cm.
2) getting the volume by parts: 2[15cm(1cm)(1cm)] + [848cm (1cm)(1cm)]
giving me 878 cm^3.
3) I converted into m^3 and got 8.78*10^-4
4) I used the density and then got a mass of 6.38 kg

But it's a wrong answer... any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• p1.11.gif
    p1.11.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you worked out your volume.

Try simply working out the area of the cross-section and multilpying that by the length.

What you want to do is find the surface area of the I beam. Then you know the height of the beam is 850m and its area, so you can find the volume by multiplying the two.

The area is (36*15) - (34*14) if I am not mistaken.

how you calculated the volume eludes me. How about 2[15*1*850] + 34*1*850 = 54400 cm^3

What is the definition of mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of physical objects under the influence of forces.

What are the three main laws of motion?

The three main laws of motion are: 1) Newton's first law - an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. 2) Newton's second law - the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. 3) Newton's third law - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction of an object's motion.

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is force (F) = mass (m) x acceleration (a). This is also known as Newton's second law of motion.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion.