Calculating Moles of IO3- in the Erlenmeyer Flask?

In summary, to calculate the number of moles of IO3- used in the titration, we first calculate the moles of KIO3 used and then determine the molarity of the solution. The mole ratio of KIO3 and IO3- is 1:1, so the number of moles of KIO3 will be equal to the number of moles of IO3-. To calculate the number of moles of IO3- in the Erlenmeyer flask, we multiply the molarity by the volume of solution in the flask. In this case, the volume is 10mL.
Glen Maverick

Homework Statement

Calculation of the number of moles of IO3- used in the titration(i.e. in the Erlenmeyer flask):
KIO3(s) → K+(aq) + IO3-(aq): balanced eqn of dissolving KIO3 in water

1. Calculate the moles of KIO3 used: Molecular weight of KIO3 = 214.0011 g/mol
Amount of KIO3 used in grams = 0.0356g
# of moles = 0.0356g/(214.0011g/mol) (grams cancels out) = 1.6635 × 10^-5 moles
The mole ratio is 1:1:1. So # of moles of KIO3 will be equal to # of moles of IO3-

2. Calculate the Molarity
Amount of dH2O used for dissolving = 100mL = 0.1L
Molarity = (moles of solute) / (volume of solution in Liters) = 1.6635 × 10^-5 moles/0.1L
= 1.6635 × 10^-4 moles/L
I did until this. But in the question, it says that <Calculate the # of moles of IO3- in the Erlenmeyer flask> And in the Erlenmeyer flask, there was 10mL of KIO3 solution, and other solution of 54ml.

And my question is, do I have to multiply the molarity I gained by calculation by 0.064mL (because (10ml+54ml)/1000 = 0.064L=amount in Erlenmeyer flask) to gain the # of moles of IO3- in the Erlenmeyer flask, Or can I just multiply the molarity by 10mL Or am I doing wrong??
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
10 mL - that was the amount of solution of iodate transferred, right? You have not transferred 64 mL, or any other volume.

--

I get it. I was confused when my lab TA emphasized "in the Erlenmeyer flask", so i thought she might mean something else. :)

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, composition, and the changes it undergoes. It is a broad field that encompasses everything from the smallest particles, such as atoms and molecules, to complex systems like living organisms.

2. Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It also plays a crucial role in developing new technologies, medicines, and materials that improve our quality of life. Additionally, chemistry is essential for solving global challenges such as climate change and sustainable energy production.

3. What are the main branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. Organic chemistry deals with the study of carbon-containing compounds, while inorganic chemistry focuses on non-carbon compounds. Physical chemistry studies the fundamental physical principles that govern chemical systems, while analytical chemistry involves the identification and quantification of substances. Lastly, biochemistry is the study of chemical processes in living organisms.

4. What are some common misconceptions about chemistry?

One common misconception about chemistry is that it is only useful for scientists and researchers. In reality, chemistry is a part of our daily lives and affects everything from the food we eat to the products we use. Another misconception is that chemistry is all about memorizing equations and formulas. While these are important, understanding the underlying concepts and principles is crucial in chemistry.

5. How can I improve my understanding in chemistry?

There are several ways to improve your understanding in chemistry. First, make sure you have a strong foundation in basic concepts such as atoms, molecules, and chemical reactions. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving regularly and to seek help from your teacher or peers when needed. Additionally, conducting experiments and hands-on activities can enhance your understanding of chemistry concepts. Finally, staying curious and asking questions can also improve your understanding and interest in chemistry.