Very difficult series circuit question

In summary, to find the radius of one of the 2009 identical charged spheres with a total charge of Q, you can use Gauss's law and the formula for electric field inside a sphere. Set up a closed surface around one sphere, calculate the net charge enclosed, and use the electric flux formula to find the electric field. Finally, use the formula for electric field inside a sphere to solve for the radius.
rollwiththis

Homework Statement

physproblem-1.jpg

so basically there is a total of 2008 identical resistors and 2009 identical charged spheres. The spheres have a total charge of Q. I’m trying to find out what the radius of one of these spheres is.

Homework Equations

integral (E dot A) = (sum of all q's)/(Eo)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know i have to use a combination of Gauss's law and series circuits but I'm not actually sure where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have a very interesting problem to solve! Here are some steps that you can follow to find the radius of one of the spheres:

1. Start by setting up a closed surface around one of the spheres. This surface should enclose only one sphere and none of the others.
2. According to Gauss's law, the electric flux through this surface should be equal to the net charge enclosed by the surface divided by the permittivity of free space (Eo).
3. You can calculate the net charge enclosed by the surface by summing up the charges of all the spheres within the surface. Remember that the spheres are identical, so each one has the same charge (Q).
4. Now, you can use the formula for the electric flux (E dot A) to find the electric field at the surface of the sphere. The electric field should be constant throughout the surface.
5. Finally, use the formula for electric field inside a sphere (E = Q/(4πEor^2)) to find the radius (r) of the sphere.

I hope this helps you get started on your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing through each component in sequence. This means that the current is the same at every point in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of all individual resistances in the circuit. This can be calculated using the formula: R_total = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R represents the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. What happens to the current in a series circuit if one component fails?

If one component in a series circuit fails, the entire circuit will be broken and the current will stop flowing. This is because in a series circuit, the current can only flow through each component in sequence. If one component is not working, the circuit is incomplete and the current cannot continue.

4. How do you calculate the voltage drop in a series circuit?

The voltage drop in a series circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In a series circuit, the current remains constant, so the voltage drop across each component is equal to the product of its resistance and the current.

5. How do you troubleshoot a series circuit that is not working?

To troubleshoot a series circuit, you can use a multimeter to check the continuity and resistance of each component in the circuit. If there is a break in the circuit or a faulty component, the continuity test will show a break, and the resistance test will show a value of infinity. You can also check the power source and connections to make sure they are functioning properly.