Very hard trig solution that is way too long

• Thread starter tdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the identity sin(5A)+sin(2A)-sin(A) = sin(2A)*(2*cos(3A)+1) by expanding and manipulating both sides. The use of the identity sin(A)*cos(B) = sin(A+B)+sin(A-B) is suggested to simplify the solution, ultimately leading to a successful proof.
tdude

Homework Statement

Prove that
sin(5A)+sin(2A)-sin(A) = sin(2A)*(2*cos(3A)+1)

Homework Equations

sin(2A) = 2(sin(A)cos(A))
cos(2B) = cos2(A)-sin2(A)
cos(A+B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B)
sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + sin(B)cos(A)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any other way than to just decompose the whole thing into sinA or cosA, and that is really long and usually full of mistakes. Is there something that I'm missing here? Something that makes this proof a lot easier?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, yeah, somewhat easier. Expand the right side and cancel the sin(2A) on both sides. Now expand sin(5A)=sin(2A+3A). Then maybe use sin(3A)cos(2A)-cos(3A)sin(2A)=sin(A)? It goes a bit easier, yes? Hope I don't have a typo in there.

Last edited:
Do you know the identity

sin(A)*cos(B) = sin(A+B)+sin(A-B) ?

Use on the right side for 2*sin(2A)*cos(3A).

ehild

ehild said:
Do you know the identity

sin(A)*cos(B) = sin(A+B)+sin(A-B) ?

Use on the right side for 2*sin(2A)*cos(3A).

ehild

are you sure that's correct?

d21208f87b9c55b68e4cb36e4ec1cc8f.png

that's what's on wikipedia.

if it is however, it could help.

My mistake, I forgot the division by two. Use Wiki's formula, it really helps! You will be surprised, how easy the solution is. :)

ehild

aight, got it. all is well! Close thread please!

Related to Very hard trig solution that is way too long

1. What is trigonometry and why is it considered difficult?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties. It involves the use of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve problems related to angles and sides of triangles. It is considered difficult because it requires a thorough understanding of concepts and formulas, as well as strong algebra skills.

2. Why is the solution for this trig problem so long?

The length of a trigonometry solution depends on the complexity of the problem and the approach used to solve it. Some problems may require multiple steps and formulas to be applied, resulting in a longer solution. In this case, the problem may also involve advanced trigonometric concepts, making the solution even longer.

3. Is there a simpler way to solve this trig problem?

Yes, there may be simpler ways to approach a trigonometry problem, depending on the specific problem and the individual's understanding of the subject. It is important to have a strong foundation in trigonometric concepts and be familiar with different techniques and formulas to efficiently solve problems.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this trig problem?

Yes, calculators can be used to solve trigonometry problems, but it is important to know how to use them correctly. Some calculators have built-in trigonometric functions, while others require the use of specific buttons and formulas. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and formulas before relying solely on a calculator.

5. How can I improve my trigonometry skills?

Improving trigonometry skills requires practice and a solid understanding of the concepts. It is important to review and practice regularly, work on various types of problems, and seek help from teachers or peers when needed. Using visual aids, mnemonic devices, and real-world applications can also help improve understanding and retention of trigonometric concepts.