Very quick question PLEASE - Star Connection

In summary, the question is about calculating the magnitude of line voltage in a three-phase power system with three impedances connected in star and powered by three voltage sources of 220V each. The wording of the question may be confusing, but it is clarified that the 220V refers to the phase voltage, and the line voltage would be 220√3. If the sources were switched to a delta connection, the line voltage would be 220V since the phase voltage and line voltage are equal in a delta connection.
tissue98
Very quick question PLEASE - Star Connection!

Homework Statement

i'm just working on some questions on power engineering and there's a question on star connections. the wording is a bit funny - wondering if can get some clarification please.

"a three phase load is composed of three impedances of 10+5j. it is connected to a supply composed of three voltage sources of 220V. The three sources and three impedances are connected in star"

i am then asked to state the magnitude of the line voltage. I am confused about the wording - does it mean that the phase voltage is 220V (if there were three separate sources, this would be the case) or that the line voltage is 220V?

thanks for your help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought that the phase voltage would be 220 and so line voltage 220root3. is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

since it specifically says that the voltage sources on the supply end are 220V and since it is star connected, the 220v refers to phase voltage. LL voltage would be 220root(3) as you thought.

if the sources are switched to delta, would the line voltage be 220?

since phase voltage = line voltage for delta connectio

tissue98 said:
if the sources are switched to delta, would the line voltage be 220?

since phase voltage = line voltage for delta connectio

yes.

I cannot provide an answer to a homework question. However, I can clarify the concept of a star connection in power engineering.

In a three-phase power system, there are two types of connections: star and delta. In a star connection, each phase is connected to a common point, forming a star shape. In a delta connection, each phase is connected to the next phase, forming a triangle shape.

In this particular question, the three voltage sources and three impedances are connected in a star configuration. This means that the line voltage (the voltage between any two phases) will be equal to the phase voltage (the voltage between a phase and the neutral point) multiplied by the square root of 3.

Therefore, in this case, the line voltage will be 220V and the phase voltage will also be 220V. This is because the voltage sources are connected in a star configuration, so the phase voltage is equal to the line voltage. The magnitude of the line voltage will be 220V, as stated in the question.

I hope this clarifies the concept of a star connection and helps you with your homework question. Remember to always carefully read and understand the wording of a question before attempting to answer it.

What is a "Star Connection"?

A Star Connection is a type of electrical connection used in three-phase power systems. It consists of three phases connected to a common neutral point, forming a star or "Y" shape.

How does a "Star Connection" work?

In a Star Connection, each phase is connected to the neutral point and the voltage difference between any two phases is equal to the voltage of the individual phases. This allows for a balanced distribution of power and current in the system.

What are the advantages of using a "Star Connection"?

One advantage of a Star Connection is that it allows for the use of smaller and less expensive conductors, as the line voltage is lower compared to other types of connections. It also provides a more balanced distribution of power, reducing the risk of overloading individual phases.

Are there any limitations to using a "Star Connection"?

One limitation of a Star Connection is that it requires a fourth wire, the neutral wire, which adds to the complexity and cost of the system. Additionally, in certain situations, a Star Connection may not be suitable for high-voltage or high-power applications.

What are some real-world applications of a "Star Connection"?

A Star Connection is commonly used in residential and commercial buildings for distributing power to appliances, lighting, and other electrical devices. It is also used in industrial settings for powering motors, generators, and other equipment.