Why Do Overloaded Brakes Emit Flames?

• Thread starter James889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, friction is a force that resists the movement of objects and is caused by the roughness of surfaces. There are three main types of friction: static, kinetic, and rolling. Friction affects motion by slowing down or stopping objects and converting energy into heat. The amount of friction is affected by surface type, force, and smoothness. Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, smoother surfaces, and decreasing force.
James889
Hello,

I saw this clip:

And i simply wonder what is the stuff that's burning?

Fire is a chemical reaction between oxygen, heat and some combustible material.

So shouldn't the brakes just be glowing red hot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but I would guess that the Airbus uses brakes that, when overloaded, shed heat using some kind of ablative materials and that it is this material you see burn away initially at least.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the movement of one object over another object. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces in contact with each other.

2. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two objects are not moving relative to each other, kinetic friction occurs when two objects are sliding past each other, and rolling friction occurs when an object is rolling over a surface.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing objects to slow down or stop. It also causes objects to heat up, as the energy of motion is converted into heat energy.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the smoothness or roughness of the surfaces.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces and reducing the force pressing the surfaces together.