1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Veryfing Green theorem

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1
    Hi there. I have the next exercice: Verify the Green theorem with the field [tex]F(x,y)=(x+y,2x-y)[/tex], and the path which its image is the boundary positively oriented for the region between [tex]x^2+y^2=9[/tex] y [tex]|x|+|y|=1[/tex]

At first I've drawn this:
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48657.0;attach=9048.png

Then I've parametrized the path
    [tex]\lambda_1[0,2\pi]\rightarrow{\mathbb{R}^2}:\lambda_1(t)=(3\cos t,3\sin t)[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda_2[-1,1]\rightarrow{\mathbb{R}^2}:\lambda_2(t)=(t,1-|t|)[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda_3[1,-1]\rightarrow{\mathbb{R}^2}:\lambda_3(t)=(t,|t|-1)[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda=\lambda_1+\lambda_2+\lambda_3[/tex]

[tex]I_1=\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2\pi}(-(3\cos t+3 \sin t)3\sin t+(6\cos t-3\sin t)3\cos t)dt=9\pi[/tex]
    [tex]I_2=\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}[t+1-|t|+(2t-1+|t|)sg(t)]dt=3[/tex]
    [tex]I_2=\displaystyle\int_{1}^{-1}[t+|t|-1+(2t-|t|+1)sg(t)]dt=-1[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{\lambda}^{}F\cdot{d\lambda}=I_1+I_2+I_3=9\pi+2[/tex]

Then I made the double integral:
    [tex]\displaystyle\int \int_{D} \left ( \frac{{\partial Q}}{{\partial x}}-\frac{{\partial P}}{{\partial y}} \right )dxdy[/tex]
    [tex]\displaystyle\int_{-3}^{3}\displaystyle\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{9-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{9-x^2}}dydx-\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}\displaystyle\int_{|x|-1}^{1-|x|}dydx=\displaystyle\int_{0}^{r} \int_{0}^{2\pi}r d \theta dr - \displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}dvdu=9\pi-2[/tex]
    In the last integral I've made the change of variables [tex]y+x=u,y-x=v[/tex]. As you can see I have a problem with a sign, in the 2. Perhaps I should take the opposite signs because lambda2 and lambda3 are "negative" oriented? I thought the sign should came naturally given by the parametrization, so I'm not sure what I did wrong here.

Bye and thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2011 #2
    I think you dropped a negative sign in this integral. The differential dy should be - sg(t) since y = 1-|t|.

And according to Mathematica, this change should make your line integral sync up with the double integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook