Violation of conservation law?

In summary, two objects, "A" and "B", each with mass 1kg, collide with each other. Object "A" loses one unit of momentum and 0.5 joules to object "B" during the collision. However, because object "A" strikes object "B" off center, object "B" begins to rotate and gains additional rotational energy, which violates the law of conservation of energy. To resolve this issue, conservation of angular momentum must also be taken into account in the equations. This is a challenging and interesting problem that showcases the interconnectedness of different physical laws.
Danyon
Consider two objects, "A" and "B", each having mass 1kg. Object "A" moves downward towards object "B" and collides with the extended arm of object "B". Let's say for the sake of argument that during this collision object "A" lost one unit of momentum and 0.5 joules to object "B" (This value does not matter because the thought experiment works for all possible values). If conservation of linear momentum applies then object "B" should then begin to move downwards with momentum 1 and energy 0.5, the movement downwards has used all the available energy (0.5 joules) However, because object "A" struck object "B" off center, object "B" should begin rotating, this should give the object an additional rotational energy, violating the law of conservation of energy. If energy is conserved in this system then the energy of the rotation must be stolen from the energy associated with the downward movement, which would violate conservation of linear momentum. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
What do YOU think?
I can't find any clean ways to resolve the problem, I've been thinking about this for months, I came across this example when I was trying to design a reactionless thruster. I hope that linear momentum is violated, it would be quite useful for spacecraft

Work through the algebra (and don't forget to include conservation of angular momentum). You will find that the ##v^2## term in the kinetic energy interacts nicely with the ##v## term in the momentum so that both quantities end up being conserved.

(This is, BTW, a kind of fun problem, one of those problems that makes you pause for a moment and say "Hey - that really is cool!" when you see how the math works out).

Nugatory said:
Work through the algebra (and don't forget to include conservation of angular momentum). You will find that the ##v^2## term in the kinetic energy interacts nicely with the ##v## term in the momentum so that both quantities end up being conserved.

(This is, BTW, a kind of fun problem, one of those problems that makes you pause for a moment and say "Hey - that really is cool!" when you see how the math works out).
That's really bizarre, could you please show the math here? Just looking at the scenario its hard to imagine how something isn't violated here

Last edited by a moderator:
Danyon said:
That's really bizarre, could you please show the math here? Just looking at the scenario its hard to imagine how something isn't violated here
You're really going to have to work through the math for yourself - it's the only way to learn, which is why the Physics Forums rules prohibit giving complete solutions. But I'll push the rules a bit and give you the starting point.

Take the masses of the two objects to be ##m_A## and ##m_B##. Let the initial velocity of object A to be ##v_0## and the final velocity of the two objects to be ##v_A## and ##v_B## (because object B is rotating, this will be the speed of its center of mass). Let the distance from the center of mass of object B to the impact point be ##R##, the moment of inertia of object B be ##I##, and the final rotational velocity of object B be ##\omega##.

Now we have:
##m_Av_0=m_Av_A+m_Bv_B## by conservation of linear momentum
##m_Av_0^2/2=m_Av_A^2/2+m_Bv_B^2/2+I\omega^2/2## by conservation of energy
##Rm_Av_0=I\omega+Rm_Av_A## by conservation of angular momentum.

That's three equations in three unknowns (##v_A##, ##v_B##, and ##\omega##)... Solve away! I guarantee you that it is worth the effort and when you succeed you'll be glad you did.

For now, this thread is closed. If you need more help from here, you should start a thread in the homework forum where the helpers can work you through the hard spots.

[The thread is closed, but I have been known to mistype formulas from time to time. Everyone watching, PM me if this is one of those times].
[EDIT - yep, I got the post collision angular momentum wrong the first time around. I just edited this post to fix it]

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and nanta771

1. What is conservation law?

Conservation law is a fundamental principle in physics that states that certain physical quantities, such as energy, momentum, and charge, remain constant over time within a closed system. This means that these quantities cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed.

2. What are some examples of conservation laws?

Some examples of conservation laws include the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another; the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant; and the law of conservation of electric charge, which states that the total electric charge of a closed system remains constant.

3. What happens when a conservation law is violated?

When a conservation law is violated, it means that the physical quantity that is supposed to remain constant over time has either been created or destroyed. This can happen when the system is not truly closed, or when there are external forces or interactions that affect the system.

4. Can conservation laws be broken?

No, conservation laws cannot be broken. They are fundamental principles of physics that have been observed and tested countless times, and are considered to be universal laws that apply to all physical systems. If a conservation law appears to be violated, it is likely due to a misunderstanding or a failure to consider all factors involved.

5. Why are conservation laws important?

Conservation laws are important because they allow us to predict and understand the behavior of physical systems. They provide a framework for understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and have been crucial in the development of modern physics. Additionally, conservation laws have practical applications in various fields, such as engineering and environmental science.