Understanding Virtual Particles: The Mystery of Annihilation and Energy

In summary, virtual particles are created in vacuum due to a manifestation of the canonical commutation relations, but their existence is limited due to the uncertainty principle. They do not necessarily remain in the same position during their lifetime and can annihilate with each other, releasing energy. However, this energy is not lost as it can be used to create another virtual particle pair. The vacuum energy, which is responsible for the existence of virtual particles, remains constant.
Sterj
[SOLVED] virtual particles

If there is createn a virtual pair (anti particle A and its particle B) in vacuum what are they doing in their life time? Is A always at the same position like B or how can they annihilate? And if they annihilate, what's with the energy (does it disappear)? Has the anti particle negativ energy?

I hope you can answer this questions :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Due to a manifestation of the canonical commutation relations, we have

[tex]\Delta E \Delta t \ge \frac{h}{4\pi}[/tex]

which means that in an ever decreasing short amount of time, the uncertainty of the energy increases. If [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is small enough, then [itex]\Delta E[/tex] can be big enough for there to be enough energy for a particle-antiparticle pair to be created. Of course, this means that those two particles have to annihilate with each other before [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is over, or if an external source of energy is given to the vacuum to make up for the [itex]\Delta E[/itex], then the two created particles can live on. The two particles won't generally be in the same position during their lifetimes.

Last edited:
Sterj said:
If there is createn a virtual pair (anti particle A and its particle B) in vacuum what are they doing in their life time? Is A always at the same position like B or how can they annihilate?

A virtual particle transfers a definite momentum p, so due to HUP it is everywhere.

And if they annihilate, what's with the energy (does it disappear)?

No, another virtual pair is produced

Has the anti particle negativ energy?

I hope you can answer this questions :smile:
Yes

i urge you to read my journal. I have written several entries on this topic. Check it out
https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=2

Look at the bottom of the page
regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
"No, another virtual pair is produced"

That would mean, that the "same" energy is always there?

Sterj said:
"No, another virtual pair is produced"

That would mean, that the "same" energy is always there?

Ofcourse, that is the vacuum energy. It is because this energy is non-zero that them vacuum fluctuations and virtual particles exist in the first place

I am sure i have told this before...

marlon

But if the same energy is alway there, it takes the energy "sentense" in danger (E1=E2).

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that appear and disappear in a vacuum due to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics. They are not observable directly, but their effects can be seen in quantum interactions.

2. How do virtual particles relate to annihilation and energy?

In the phenomenon of annihilation, a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide and are converted into energy. Virtual particles play a role in this process by appearing as temporary "bridges" between the particle and antiparticle, allowing them to interact and annihilate each other.

3. Are virtual particles real?

While virtual particles are not physical particles that exist in a tangible form, they are a fundamental part of the quantum world and have measurable effects. In this sense, they can be considered "real" in the context of quantum mechanics.

4. How are virtual particles different from regular particles?

Virtual particles have different properties and behaviors compared to regular particles. They have a much shorter lifespan and cannot be directly observed or isolated. Additionally, they do not follow the laws of classical physics and their energy and momentum may be uncertain.

5. Can virtual particles be harnessed for practical use?

Currently, virtual particles are mainly studied and observed for their role in fundamental physics. While there have been some theoretical proposals for utilizing virtual particles in technology, such as quantum computing, it is still a topic of ongoing research and development.