Virtual Photon Lifetime: Proton in Atom Nucleus

In summary, the lifetime of a virtual photon is limited by the energy-time uncertainty relation, and it depends on the energy of the emitting particle. A higher energy particle can create a virtual photon with a higher frequency, but it will only last for a short period of time. The full explanation of this phenomenon is complex and requires an understanding of QFT. The Coulomb force, which is an approximation, breaks down at atomic scales and the exact frequency of the virtual photon mediating it is not known. Virtual photons do not obey the mass-energy relationship and can only exist for a very short time.
Jonny_trigonometry
QFT states that all forces are due to the exchange of virtual particles, I'm interested in photons and their role in the EM force.

I was wondering what the maximum time allowed for existence of an exchange photon is when it's emmitted from a proton in the nucleus of an atom. I'm thinkin' that the number of protons in the nucleus (possibly neutrons too), and number of electrons in the cloud enveloping the nucleus has a relation to this also. My question is, what is the average time of existence of a virtual photon in these conditions, be it a function of Z and or #e or not?

Do I have to give more constraints like the atom is at rest, in zero gravity (flat spacetime), not in the vicinity of any other atoms? Can someone direct me towards a website that has some tables of virtual photon lifetimes for various situations like the above mentioned ones? Does the energy of the emmitting particle have anything to do with the energy of the photon emmitted?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I have an incorrect understanding of how things like this work? anybody?

ok, here's my answer:

in order for a photon to be virtual, it must be undetectable by any means of measuring, so it's on "the other side" of the energy-time unceratinty relation. It must be less than h bar/2.

so, deltaE*deltaT must be less than hbar/2. since the photon is created out of nothing, deltaE is hf, so deltaT<1/(f*4Pi). what is f? I'll guess and say that it's the frequency of the proton's matter wave: f = mpc^2/h. This is such a sorry excuse for real physics I know: delta T max is about 1.0512*10^-24 seconds, which means it can only travel about 10^-16 meters... Yeah, I have no idea how to answer the question, that's why I ask.

Last edited:
A higher energy particle can be created out of the vacuum for shorter periods of time. So if you want a very high-energy photon (which corresponds to a higher frequency photon - say a photon in the X-ray region of the EM spectrum) it will only last in the vacuum for a short period of time.

But this is a very simple way to look at things; the full machinery of QFT is fairly complicated and involved mathematically.

hmm, yes. What is the average photon frequency that mediates the coloumb force in a helium atom in ground state? Is it such a frequency that it can only travel out to about 5*10^-11 meters?

Coulomb force is a (good) approximation that breaks down in atomic scales. I don't know enough QED to give you your answer.

From Feynman diagram, you can see that
virtual photon doesnot obey mass-energy relationship.
we can consider it as a massive photon, which acn only exist
in a very short time.

1. What is a virtual photon?

A virtual photon is a hypothetical particle that carries the electromagnetic force between charged particles. It is considered "virtual" because it cannot be directly observed or detected, unlike real photons which make up light and other electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does virtual photon lifetime relate to the proton in an atom nucleus?

The virtual photon lifetime is a measure of how long the virtual photon exists before it is absorbed or disappears. In the context of the proton in an atom nucleus, the virtual photon lifetime is related to the strong nuclear force, which is carried by virtual pions (composed of virtual photons) between the protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of the virtual photon lifetime?

The virtual photon lifetime is an important parameter in quantum field theory, which describes the behavior of particles and forces at the subatomic level. It helps us understand the interactions between particles and how forces are transmitted between them.

4. How is the virtual photon lifetime measured?

The virtual photon lifetime is not directly measurable, as virtual particles cannot be observed or detected. However, it can be calculated using mathematical models and theories, such as quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics.

5. Can the virtual photon lifetime change?

Yes, the virtual photon lifetime can change depending on the energy and distance between the interacting particles. It is also affected by the properties of the particles involved, such as their mass and charge. However, in most cases, the virtual photon lifetime remains constant and is a fundamental property of the particles and forces involved.