Virtual work and D'alembert's principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of Virtual Work and D'Alembert's Principle and their differences and applications. Virtual Work is useful for determining the geometry of a system, while D'Alembert's Principle is seen as a contradiction to the Law of Action and Reaction and can cause confusion. The speaker also clarifies that they are not the "Dr. D" from YouTube and instead a retired ME Prof.
CrazyNeutrino
I can't for the life of me figure out what virtual work or D'alemberts principle mean and what the intuition behind them is. As far as I'm concerned D'alemberts principle is just a restatement of Newton's second law but considering the work instead of just the forces. What am I missing? I'm trying to understand how Lagrange developed his variational principles and how Hamilton's principle of least action arose from Virtual work and D'alemberts principle.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I would suggest that you mentally separate Virtual Work (VW) and D'Alembert's Principle. They are different things.

In many respects, you are correct about VW being equivalent to Newton's Law; both give the equations of static equilibrium. The advantage of VW is often found that only active forces (forces that do work in a virtual displacement) need to be considered. This eliminates all the reactions at fixed supports and similar. The Principle of VW is often very useful for systems where the geometry is the thing to be determined, such as a linkage hanging under the influence of gravity. In a case like that, the linkage angles are all unknown (they are to be determined), and the force summations become awkward.

D'Alembert's Principle is an entirely different ball of wax. At the risk of possibly stepping on some toes, I see this as an outright contradiction to the Law of Action and Reaction. D'Alembert postulates a force (-M*a) that does not exist. As a force that does not exist, it therefore has no reaction to be found anywhere. This becomes extremely confusing, and I will never use D'Alembert. The "advantage" of D'Alembert is that it reduces the problem to a statics problem, or so they say. What advantage is that, when you must still find the acceleration? It usually has the effect of causing people to not pay adequate attention to the kinematics problem, and thus to incorrectly express the acceleration. Overall, it is a grand source of confusion.

Virtual Work is very powerful and useful; D'Alembert not so much!

Likes CrazyNeutrino
Thank you! I'm starting to get a sense of what these actually mean. Thus far I have just seen derivations and statements of both principles.
Dr.D said:
First, I would suggest that you mentally separate Virtual Work (VW) and D'Alembert's Principle. They are different things.

In many respects, you are correct about VW being equivalent to Newton's Law; both give the equations of static equilibrium. The advantage of VW is often found that only active forces (forces that do work in a virtual displacement) need to be considered. This eliminates all the reactions at fixed supports and similar. The Principle of VW is often very useful for systems where the geometry is the thing to be determined, such as a linkage hanging under the influence of gravity. In a case like that, the linkage angles are all unknown (they are to be determined), and the force summations become awkward.

D'Alembert's Principle is an entirely different ball of wax. At the risk of possibly stepping on some toes, I see this as an outright contradiction to the Law of Action and Reaction. D'Alembert postulates a force (-M*a) that does not exist. As a force that does not exist, it therefore has no reaction to be found anywhere. This becomes extremely confusing, and I will never use D'Alembert. The "advantage" of D'Alembert is that it reduces the problem to a statics problem, or so they say. What advantage is that, when you must still find the acceleration? It usually has the effect of causing people to not pay adequate attention to the kinematics problem, and thus to incorrectly express the acceleration. Overall, it is a grand source of confusion.

Virtual Work is very powerful and useful; D'Alembert not so much!

Thank you! Thus far I've only seen insipid derivations and statements of both principles but I think I'm starting to understand what they actually mean. Also, are you Dr, D as in Dr. Dynamics on youtube?

CrazyNeutrino said:
Also, are you Dr, D as in Dr. Dynamics on youtube?

No, I have nothing on YouTube. I'm just a retired ME Prof, who continues to work in kinematics, dynamics, and vibrations on a daily basis. I'm currently revising a textbook I wrote almost 30 years ago, and there is much to update.

Oh alright, thank you nonetheless!

What is virtual work?

Virtual work is a concept in mechanics that involves the calculation of the work done by forces on a system in a hypothetical displacement, rather than in an actual displacement. It is used to analyze the equilibrium of a system and determine the forces acting on it.

How is virtual work related to D'alembert's principle?

D'alembert's principle is a fundamental principle in mechanics that states that the sum of the external forces and the virtual forces acting on a system must be equal to zero for the system to be in equilibrium. Virtual work is used to calculate these virtual forces and determine if a system is in equilibrium according to D'alembert's principle.

What is the significance of D'alembert's principle in mechanics?

D'alembert's principle is significant in mechanics because it allows for a simplified analysis of the equilibrium of a system. It eliminates the need to consider the acceleration of the system, making it easier to calculate the forces acting on it.

Can D'alembert's principle be applied to all types of systems?

D'alembert's principle can be applied to any system in static equilibrium, meaning that it is not experiencing any acceleration. It is commonly used in rigid body mechanics, but can also be applied to non-rigid systems as long as they are not experiencing any acceleration.

How is virtual work used in practical applications?

Virtual work is used in various engineering and scientific fields to analyze the equilibrium and stability of structures and systems. It is also used in computer simulations and virtual testing to predict the behavior of systems under different conditions without physically testing them.