Viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process

In summary: Increasing the diameter will not work as the bridge will form at the same diameter regardless of size. Reducing the viscosity will work, but will cause the fluid to heat up and potentially cause other problems.
czechman45
In work that I've been doing, we've come across an interesting problem. In a manufacturing process, a highly viscous, non-Newtonian fluid goes down a vertical chute and then gets pushed horizontally out the bottom by some rotating screws. Sometimes, the fluid gets pushed out the bottom, but the fluid in the chute doesn't continue to come down. The company that has this problem calls it 'bridging' where you essentially get a little cave at the bottom, the 'bridge' forming the roof and preventing the fluid from continuing to come down. I would like to know more about this. Does anyone know what this type of phenomena is called and where I might look to learn more about it?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
czechman45 said:
In work that I've been doing, we've come across an interesting problem. In a manufacturing process, a highly viscous, non-Newtonian fluid goes down a vertical chute and then gets pushed horizontally out the bottom by some rotating screws. Sometimes, the fluid gets pushed out the bottom, but the fluid in the chute doesn't continue to come down. The company that has this problem calls it 'bridging' where you essentially get a little cave at the bottom, the 'bridge' forming the roof and preventing the fluid from continuing to come down. I would like to know more about this. Does anyone know what this type of phenomena is called and where I might look to learn more about it?

Thank you!
I never heard of bridging happening with a viscous fluid, but is a common phenomenon in hopper feed with granular solids and powders. Look up bridging of granular material in hoppers.

Thinking about this I suspect the bridge formation is a function of viscosity and diameter. If you can influence either you can influence the probability that the bridge will form.

Can you increase the diameter or reduce the viscosity (maybe with heating)?

1. What is viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process?

Viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process refers to the movement of a highly viscous or thick fluid through a system or machinery in a manufacturing setting. This type of fluid flow is often encountered in processes involving polymers, paints, adhesives, and other viscous substances.

2. How does viscous fluid flow affect the manufacturing process?

Viscous fluid flow can greatly impact the efficiency and effectiveness of a manufacturing process. It can cause clogging, uneven distribution of materials, and slower processing times. It is important for scientists and engineers to understand and control this type of fluid flow in order to optimize the manufacturing process.

3. What factors influence the rate of viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process?

The rate of viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process can be influenced by various factors such as the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure and temperature conditions, the size and shape of the pipes or channels used, and the type of equipment or machinery being used.

4. How can scientists and engineers control viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process?

There are several methods that can be used to control viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process. These include adjusting the temperature and pressure conditions, using additives to change the viscosity of the fluid, and implementing proper design and equipment selection to minimize resistance and turbulence.

5. What are some common challenges in dealing with viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process?

Some common challenges in dealing with viscous fluid flow in a manufacturing process include maintaining a consistent flow rate, preventing clogging and build-up, and ensuring uniform distribution of the fluid. These challenges can be addressed through careful planning, proper equipment maintenance, and continuous monitoring and adjustment of process parameters.