Voltage across the output resistor for this opamp circuit

In summary, current flows through R3 in the opposite direction to the input current, so the voltage across R3 is 1V. However, the opamp is not passive and current can flow into or out of the opamp outputs.
jaus tail
Homework Statement
Find the voltage across R3
Relevant Equations
No current flows inside opamp

Here is question: Find voltage across R3
options:
10V
11V
5V
2V

Attempt: No current flows through Opamp, so 1mA flows through R3, this gives voltage across R3 = 1ma * 1K = 1V.
But that is not in option.
Where am I wrong? No current flows inside or outside opamp, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jaus tail said:
No current flows inside or outside opamp, right?

From - to + ! (The output currect can be considerable) !
I.e. the 1 mA flows through R2 in opposite direction wrt Vb - Va

Likes jaus tail
1 mA will flow left to right through R1, then left to right through R2 and then top to bottom through R3. Right?

What about the opamp ? Is it passive ?
jaus tail said:
Right?
That would make Va = 11 V ? and Vb = ##-\infty## ? After all, Vb = ##-## N ##\times ## Va with N a big number...

Likes jaus tail
What does passive mean? This is the only data that is given. The diagram and the question to find Voltage across R3.

The key for solving the problem is the following:
For an ideal opamp the voltage between the inv. terminal and ground is zero. This is the result of negative feedback.
Hence, find the expression for this voltage (depends on the input current as well as the opamps output voltage Vout, use the superposition rule) and set it to zero - and solve for Vout.
It is a simple calculation...

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Where am I wrong? No current flows inside or outside opamp, right?
No current flows into or out of the op amp inputs, but current can and does flow into or out of the op amp output. So the current through R3 is not the same as the current through R2.

Likes jaus tail
LvW said:
The key for solving the problem is the following:
For an ideal opamp the voltage between the inv. terminal and ground is zero.
Does this mean Va is 0?
Or
Can i solve it like:
( 0 - Va ) / R1 = 1mA
This gives Va.
Then (Va - Vb)/R2 = 1mA. It's the same current.
This gives Vb ??

jaus tail said:
Does this mean Va is 0?
Yes.
Or
Can i solve it like:
( 0 - Va ) / R1 = 1mA
This gives Va.
No! You don't know what the voltage at the top of the current source is.
Edit - A better way to say it is that you can't assume that the voltage at the top of the current source is zero. You can calculate what that voltage is given that Va=0 and knowing R1 and the current.

Last edited:
Likes jaus tail
@jaus tail - do you know the superposition rule?
There are two sources contributing to the voltage Va: The input current source and the opamps output voltage Vout. The influence of both sources on the voltage Va can be (and must be ) calculated separately!

Likes jaus tail
Yeah I know superposition. The output voltage is like a series voltage source / battery to right or to left of b?

I'm confused about superposition. The opamp's output Vout is because of the input current source. So how are there two independent sources? If i consider only Vout and open circuit the current source, then Vout will be zero, cause Vout is because of Iinput.

is this the explanation:
using concept of virtual ground, we get that inverting terminal of opamp is at ground. 0V
so current through R2 is 1mA. No current flows into opamo.
so (Va-Vb)/R2 = (0-Vb)/R2 = 1mA
So -Vb/10k = 1mA.
This gives Vb = 10V, which is there in option.

Likes BvU
jaus tail said:
is this the explanation:
using concept of virtual ground, we get that inverting terminal of opamp is at ground. 0V
So -Vb/10k = 1mA.
Yes. That's all there is to it.

Ok. Thanks. Just for knowledge: if current is going into the output of the opamp, then where does it go from there? Like current needs a closed path.
So if current enters opamp from output, where does it come out from?
Or if current is coming out from output of opamp, how does it enter the opamp?

jaus tail said:
Ok. Thanks. Just for knowledge: if current is going into the output of the opamp, then where does it go from there? Like current needs a closed path.
So if current enters opamp from output, where does it come out from?
Or if current is coming out from output of opamp, how does it enter the opamp?
The op amp has connections to the power supplies, as shown in this figure. They source or sink the output current.
400px-Op-amp_symbol.svg.png

Last edited:
Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
is this the explanation:
So -Vb/10k = 1mA.

Not unimportant( the sign): Vb= - 10V.

Likes jaus tail
Thanks for the help. I didn't use superposition though. Is there some other method to arrive at answer using superposition?

jaus tail said:
Thanks for the help. I didn't use superposition though. Is there some other method to arrive at answer using superposition?
The voltage at the inv. input is Vn=Vn1+Vn2.
(1) Vn1 caused by I1 only (for Vout=Vb=0): Vn1=I1*R2=10V.
(2) Vn2 caused by Vout=Vb only (for I1=0, open circuit): Vn2=Vout=Vb (no voltage drop across R2).
(3) Vn=Vn1+Vn2=10V+Vb=0
(4) therefore, Vb=-10V.

Likes jaus tail

1. What is the purpose of the output resistor in an opamp circuit?

The output resistor in an opamp circuit is used to limit the amount of current flowing through the opamp and to provide stability to the circuit. It also helps to reduce noise and distortion in the output signal.

2. How is the voltage across the output resistor calculated?

The voltage across the output resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law (V=IR), where V is the voltage, I is the current flowing through the resistor, and R is the resistance of the resistor. Alternatively, it can also be measured using a multimeter.

3. What factors affect the voltage across the output resistor in an opamp circuit?

The voltage across the output resistor is affected by the input voltage, the gain of the opamp, and the resistance of the output resistor itself. Changes in any of these factors will result in a change in the output voltage.

4. How does the voltage across the output resistor affect the output signal?

The voltage across the output resistor determines the amplitude of the output signal. A higher voltage across the resistor will result in a larger output signal, while a lower voltage will result in a smaller output signal.

5. Can the voltage across the output resistor be adjusted?

Yes, the voltage across the output resistor can be adjusted by changing the resistance of the resistor. This can be done by using a potentiometer or by replacing the resistor with one of a different value. However, it is important to ensure that the new resistance value is within the acceptable range for the opamp to avoid damaging the circuit.