Voltage, Circuits & (c) Answer: Explained!

In summary, the person is seeking an explanation of how to get the answer for (c) in a specific problem involving voltage and current in a circuit. They are confused about adding voltage in different directions and how it relates to the flow of current. The expert explains that voltage can be added in either direction and suggests picking a specific point as "ground" and walking the loop, adding the voltage drops as you go. They also provide an example calculation to demonstrate this concept. The conversation then devolves into confusion when the person changes the problem mid-explanation, but the expert reiterates the importance of sticking to one problem at a time.
Instinctlol
im6t5y.jpg
I need someone to explain how to get the answer for (c)
I know its like this (from solution manual)...

Va = Vc + 8 + I(1.4 + 5)

From what it seems, they are just adding voltage in the counter clockwise direction. How are they doing this?

How come I can't add voltage from the clockwise direction?

I am very confused to how this works, I can't seem to grasp an image of what is going in circuits (especially with 2 batteries!) Please explain everything to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can add voltages in either direction you like! You can pick a specific point, say point a, and call that "ground." You can simply declare that point a has zero volts of potential. Then walk the loop, adding the voltages as you go. The sum of all those voltage drops has to equal zero.

- Warren

chroot said:
You can add voltages in either direction you like! You can pick a specific point, say point a, and call that "ground." You can simply declare that point a has zero volts of potential. Then walk the loop, adding the voltages as you go. The sum of all those voltage drops has to equal zero.

- Warren

So let's say I decided to add them up in the clockwise direction.

Va = 15.248 + (-I*9) + Vc , Would this work also? I tried this and answer is a little bit different.

What about

Vc = (-I*9) + 15.248 + Va How about this?

Current is not a vector so what determines if voltage is negative?

Let's write this out a bit more explicitly! I'm going to start with point a, call it zero volts. I'm also going to assume that the current is flowing in the clockwise direction, since that makes it easier for me in my own head.

First, we encounter a resistor. The voltage drop across a resistor is v = R*i. Next, we encounter a battery. The battery maintains a 16V difference between its positive and negative terminals, so, moving clockwise, the voltage drops 16V. Continuing this around this loop, I get:

0 -1.6*i - 16 - 9*i + 8 - 1.4*i - 5*i = 0

Does this make sense so far?

- Warren

chroot said:
Let's write this out a bit more explicitly! I'm going to start with point a, call it zero volts. I'm also going to assume that the current is flowing in the clockwise direction, since that makes it easier for me in my own head.

First, we encounter a resistor. The voltage drop across a resistor is v = R*i. Next, we encounter a battery. The battery maintains a 16V difference between its positive and negative terminals, so, moving clockwise, the voltage drops 16V. Continuing this around this loop, I get:

0 -1.6*i - 16 - 9*i + 8 - 1.4*i - 5*i = 0

Does this make sense so far?

- Warren
A little bit. Ok so another example..
Lets say the polarity of the 16v battery is switched. So now, the + side is on the right and the negative side is on the left. ALSO, the 1.6 ohms is on the right side of the battery.

Now I want to go from Va to Vb. Would this be correct?

Va = 16 -1.6I + Vb so
Va - Vb = 16 - 1.6I

Then I want to go from Vb to Va so..
Vb = 1.6*-I - 16V + Va

Does these 2 equation look correct??

I don't think it's a good idea to change the problem around in the middle of trying to solve it, especially when trying to get help on a forum. That said, the equation should be:

Va + 16 - 1.6i = Vb

In your head, say it like this: "start at point a (with potential Va), add 16 volts, subtract 1.6*i volts, and now arrive at point b (with potential Vb)."

You're trying to start with Va and set it equal to things -- don't do that! You're likely to make sign mistakes. Instead, start with a known voltage (like Va), and add things directly to it as you walk around the loop.

- Warren

chroot said:
I don't think it's a good idea to change the problem around in the middle of trying to solve it, especially when trying to get help on a forum. That said, the equation should be:

Va + 16 - 1.6i = Vb

In your head, say it like this: "start at point a (with potential Va), add 16 volts, subtract 1.6*i volts, and now arrive at point b (with potential Vb)."

You're trying to start with Va and set it equal to things -- don't do that! You're likely to make sign mistakes. Instead, start with a known voltage (like Va), and add things directly to it as you walk around the loop.

- Warren
This is another problem in the book. I switched it so I can see if I understand.
So from what you said, let's start at point Vb now. We are still using negative on the left and positive on the right.

So..
Vb - 1.6I - 16V = Va ?

In my head.." start at Vb, subtract 1.6I because its a voltage drop. Then subtract another 16V because its another voltage drop. "
Correct? x_x

Ok, I don't know what you're doing now...

You're back to the original problem, right? And now you're starting at Vb, and walking the loop counter-clockwise, assuming that the current flows counter-clockwise?

Please be more explicit about what you're doing.

- Warren

No, I said we are still using the configuration of - on the left of the battery and + on the right of the battery and the 1.6 ohm is on the right of the battery. I am just going counter-clockwise now from Vb to Va. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, I think you're correct, then. Like I said, it's a really bad idea to change the problem in the middle of a post and expect people to keep up with you.

Can we get back to the original problem?

- Warren

chroot said:
Yes, I think you're correct, then. Like I said, it's a really bad idea to change the problem in the middle of a post and expect people to keep up with you.

Can we get back to the original problem?

- Warren

Ok back to the original problem. Va to Vc (Going counter clockwise)

Va - 5I - 1.4I - 8V = Vc
Va - Vc = 8V + 5I + 1.4I

And going from Vc to Va (This is for my understanding, going clockwise)

Vc + 8V - 1.4I - 5I = Va
Vc - Va = -8V +1.4I + 5I

NOW... We go Clockwise:
Va to Vc
Va - 1.6I - 16V - 9I = Vc
Va - Vc = 1.6I + 16V + 9I

Then Vc to Va (Counter Clockwise)
Vc - 9I + 16V - 1.6I = Va
Vc-Va = 9I - 16V + 1.6I

I hope this is not confusing. I tried my best to be clear

I think you're on the right track; can you answer the questions now?

- Warren

Yea the answer is 11V I already know this from the solution. I will check this result with all my equation and see if it is right. Thanks alot!

Ok so what I figured out is that if you are going AGAINST the current, you need to ADD the IR

So for this equation

NOW... We go Clockwise:
Va to Vc
Va - 1.6I - 16V - 9I = Vc
Va - Vc = 1.6I + 16V + 9I

The correct way is

NOW... We go Clockwise:
Va to Vc
Va + 1.6I - 16V - 9I = Vc
Va - Vc = -1.6I + 16V - 9I

This yields the correct answer

Hey Instinctlol, the usual practice is to just assume that the current flows either one direction, or the other, at the beginning of the problem. Then you can walk the loop in that direction, adding up voltage drops through all the components. If you end up with a negative value for the current, don't worry -- that just means your initial guess about the current's direction was wrong. No harm, no foul.

- Warren

1. What is voltage and how is it measured?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

2. What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a closed loop through which electricity flows. It consists of a power source, such as a battery, conductors which carry the current, and components such as resistors or light bulbs. Electricity flows from the positive terminal of the power source, through the circuit, and back to the negative terminal.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC stands for alternating current, which means the flow of electricity periodically changes direction. DC stands for direct current, which means the flow of electricity remains in one direction. AC is typically used for household electricity, while DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

4. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage (V) = current (I) x resistance (R). This means that the voltage in a circuit is directly proportional to the current and resistance. In other words, an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, but an increase in resistance will cause a decrease in current.

5. How does a capacitor affect a circuit?

A capacitor is a component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It can affect a circuit by smoothing out voltage fluctuations, filtering out unwanted frequencies, and providing a temporary power source when needed. It can also be used to block direct current while allowing alternating current to pass through.