Understanding Voltage at the Microscopic Level: How Does It Really Work?

• Thread starter unseensoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, voltage is a measure of the potential energy for charges to move, created by chemical reactions in batteries, and is similar to gravity in its role in providing potential energy.
unseensoul
Hey,

I'm posting this because I couldn't find one single tutorial that could really answer my questions...

My question is, what is voltage, and how does it really work at microscopic level (atoms, electrons, etc)?

I'm not looking for answers like "it is what pushes the electrons!", the water's analogy, etc, but the electrons motion, kinetic energy, ions, etc.

I would like, if possible, to be given an explanation regarding a simple circuit composed by a battery, two wires and a bulb.

Common voltage-related questions I've got are...

- Why does the battery run out of energy? Because the negative terminal runs out of electrons?

- Why isn't there current in an open circuit?

- "An 8V battery provides 8 joules/coulomb"... does it really provide? or does it provide a force that will give each coulomb an 8 joule potential energy?

- etc...

With answers like "it is what pushes the electrons!", it's impossible to understand the nature of things.

PS: I'm sorry for my english. I hope you can understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
unseensoul said:
Common voltage-related questions I've got are...

- Why does the battery run out of energy? Because the negative terminal runs out of electrons?
Batteries are composed of two chemical compounds, separated so that they can not exchange electrons. When a circuit is connected to the battery electrons are exchanged and the original compounds are changed to different compounds. When most of the original compounds are converted then the battery is dead. Some chemical reactions are reversible, hence rechargeable batteries.

unseensoul said:
- Why isn't there current in an open circuit?
There is no place for the electrons to flow.
You might keep in mind that if you change an open circuit there may be current flow for a short time as potentials equalize.
This topic needs some understanding of capacitance.

unseensoul said:
- "An 8V battery provides 8 joules/coulomb"... does it really provide? or does it provide a force that will give each coulomb an 8 joule potential energy?
Both. The chemical reaction in the battery supplies the electrons and the energy differential to move them.

Hope that helps some.

Voltage is a source of potential energy for charges, like gravity is a source of potential energy for mass.

Batteries create mobile charges through chemical reactions (wet cells and dry cells), and these charges move, creating current, in response to voltage. In a battery, the chemical potential energy of the reaction is converted into electrical potential, and when the excess chemical potential goes to zero, the chemicals in the battery are in equilibrium and the reaction stops.

It's tempting and generally valid to think of current, voltage, resistance, inductance in analogy to fluids. A great book to read along these lines is "There are no electrons", by Kenn Amdahl.

Voltage is more or less a name assigned to how likely something will move from A==>B, just like work, force, etc. Since it's pretty arbitrary, you're free to come up with all sorts of formalisms which will work if they're dimensionally correct and likewise, will be correct experimentally because you've decided so (assuming perfect conditions). And electrons don't exactly flow but they do get transferred, pretty damn slowly (at least if you want your battery to last long). The 'electricity' propagates very fast but it's not a tangible object per se, just as the "ball currently changing its momentum" in say, Newton's cradle is also not tangible. In Newton's cradle, individual balls may or may not move much if at all, but you can obviously see the effects. Voltage is the name assigned to the energy each electron transfers (well, a coloumb anyway) to another. So no, it's not tangible, but neither are phonons - we still work with them.

1. What is voltage at the microscopic level?

Voltage at the microscopic level refers to the difference in electric potential between two points in a microscopic system. It is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the system.

2. How is voltage measured at the microscopic level?

Voltage at the microscopic level is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. It works by measuring the amount of current flowing through a known resistance.

3. What factors affect voltage at the microscopic level?

The voltage at the microscopic level is affected by the amount of charge present, as well as the distance between the two points in the system. It is also influenced by the properties of the materials and substances in the system, such as their conductivity and dielectric constant.

4. How does voltage affect the behavior of particles at the microscopic level?

Voltage plays a crucial role in determining the movement and behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It can cause charged particles to move and interact with each other, leading to various phenomena such as electric current, chemical reactions, and electromagnetic radiation.

5. What are some real-world applications of voltage at the microscopic level?

Voltage at the microscopic level is essential in various technologies, such as electronics, telecommunications, and medical devices. It is also crucial in biological systems, where it is involved in processes such as nerve signaling and muscle contraction.