Voltage Drop Question: Calculate w/o I

In summary: If so, it will not work as intended because a potentiometer will only provide power in proportion to the resistance.
corvairbob

i have a 24 volt buss in a machine and i need to connect an lvdt sensor to the plc i show a 1.5k resistor that is .5 watts on the lvdt. what need to find out is the voltage drop at the resistor. i formula asks for I but I but i don't have I so what might the votage drop be. answer or formula will help thanks

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
corvairbob said:
i have a 24 volt buss in a machine and i need to connect an lvdt sensor to the plc i show a 1.5k resistor that is .5 watts on the lvdt. what need to find out is the voltage drop at the resistor. i formula asks for I but I but i don't have I so what might the votage drop be. answer or formula will help thanks

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you post the schematic of the system and the datasheet for the sensor?

i don't have a diagram nor any data for the sensor at this time but if you draw the left side of the ladder at 24 volt + and then put the .5 watt resistor on a rung then attache the 24 + power input sensor wire to that. then the sensor has the ground and the wiper on that lvdt is the output. i gather the sensor is a Imax < 1ua that is what i see on it.

so what I'm trying to figure out is the voltage drop across that resistor i used the ohm's law but i asks for I and i don't have I i have 24 volt + and i have 1.5k ohm's and i have .5 watts for the resistor.

i'm thinking the sensor is changing current to the output to the plc and not the volts but I'm not sure. so that is why i asked the question all the numbers i plug into this show a voltage that doesn't make sense to me. maybe someone here can help figure this one out. thanks

corvairbob said:
i don't have a diagram nor any data for the sensor at this time but if you draw the left side of the ladder at 24 volt + and then put the .5 watt resistor on a rung then attache the 24 + power input sensor wire to that. then the sensor has the ground and the wiper on that lvdt is the output. i gather the sensor is a Imax < 1ua that is what i see on it.

so what I'm trying to figure out is the voltage drop across that resistor i used the ohm's law but i asks for I and i don't have I i have 24 volt + and i have 1.5k ohm's and i have .5 watts for the resistor.

i'm thinking the sensor is changing current to the output to the plc and not the volts but I'm not sure. so that is why i asked the question all the numbers i plug into this show a voltage that doesn't make sense to me. maybe someone here can help figure this one out. thanks
If you want to know the voltage drop across the resistor, put a volt meter across it and measure the voltage drop directly.

corvairbob said:

I cannot understand that description. Can I suggest you make a drawing and post it here.

Are you trying to use a 1.5K potentiometer as a potential divider to provide power for the sensor?

What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the decrease in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It is caused by the resistance of the materials the current must pass through.

How do you calculate voltage drop?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R): V = I * R. It can also be calculated using the voltage drop formula, where VD is the voltage drop, I is the current, R is the resistance, and L is the length of the wire: VD = I * R * L.

Why is voltage drop important to consider?

Voltage drop is important to consider because it can affect the performance and efficiency of a circuit. If there is too much voltage drop, it can result in reduced power and overheating of components.

What factors can affect voltage drop?

There are several factors that can affect voltage drop, including the length of the wire, the material and size of the wire, the current flowing through the wire, and the temperature of the wire.

Can voltage drop be eliminated?

Voltage drop cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be minimized by using larger wires with lower resistance and keeping the length of the wire as short as possible. Using thicker wires and reducing the current flowing through the wire can also help reduce voltage drop.