Understanding Voltage & Potential in a DC Circuit | Simple Explanation & FAQs

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and questions of the individual about electricity and magnetism. They ask about accelerating electrons, potential difference, potential and ground voltage, and the relationship between current and voltage. They are directed to various online resources for further understanding and advised to approach one question at a time.
Ahmad Syr
Hi guys:
I like physics but i have many questions concerning electricity and magnetism.
1- Do we accelerate electrons when increasing the voltage in a DC circuit.
2-What does it mean when we say there is a potential difference across the plates of the capacitor.
3- What is the potential and potential difference? please with photos and simple explanation and so confusing for me
4-What is the ground voltage ? so confusing for me.
5-Why is current directly proportional to the voltage because the higher the voltage the higher the speed of electrons and thus more electrons pass through a piece of wire in a period of time ?
is the previous explanation a right understanding of Ohm's law.
I would be really grateful for your answers.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
. . . . . and then come to us with one question at a time.

There's just too much here, for one thread but it reads as if you need a proper course on electricity, rather than 'bits and bobs' of specific answers.

1. What is voltage in a DC circuit?

Voltage in a DC circuit refers to the amount of electrical potential difference between two points in the circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current.

2. How is voltage measured in a DC circuit?

Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The voltmeter displays the voltage difference between two points in the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a DC circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage is directly proportional to current in a DC circuit. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can voltage be changed in a DC circuit?

Yes, voltage can be changed in a DC circuit using components such as resistors, capacitors, and batteries. These components can either increase or decrease the voltage in the circuit.

5. What happens if the voltage in a DC circuit is too high?

If the voltage in a DC circuit is too high, it can lead to damage or malfunction of electronic components. This is because high voltage can cause an increase in current, which can overheat and damage the components.