1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage output for ideal diode (solutions wrong?)

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    I'm looking at some solutions for a problem I found. This link is http://www.etcs.ipfw.edu/~lin/MET487/2011-SumII/Lectures/Hw3_Sols-MET487-Sum2011.PDF
    It's page 4 problem 3.1.

Okay so V_in is given to be 10cos(2∏t), but their graph for V_in makes no sense to me and consequently, V_out seems wrong as well.

Am I missing something here or is their graph for V_in totally off? The magnitudes are right but their period seems a factor of 2 off.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right, the period is wrong.

ehild

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks. Any clue what they were doing by finding frequency? I don't see any point in doing that.

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The time dependence of an AC voltage is U=Acos(ωt). The input voltage is U=10cos(2pi t). So what is the angular frequency ω? How is it related to the frequency and to the time period?
    The scaling in the picture is wrong.

ehild

6. Feb 3, 2013 #5
    Yeah I know that the relationship between angular frequency and frequency is
    angularfrequency=2*pi*frequency
    and that period=1/frequency.

I just don't understand why they went through the hassle of calculating frequency to draw a simple sinusoidal graph. Frequency was never asked to be calculated, so i didn't see the point in calculating it unless they somehow saw this as an easier way of drawing a simple cosine function.

7. Feb 3, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They needed to graph time dependence of the output voltage. (But they did it wrong)
    ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook