How to plot output graphs of circuits involving diodes and capacitors?

In summary, the capacitor charges when Vin is negative and discharges when Vin is positive. The output voltage is determined by Vin and RC.
dla

Homework Statement

Given that the diodes are ideal for the circuits a) and b), plot each of their output for the input shown. Label the most positive and most negative levels. Assume CR >> T

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a really hard time understanding the role of the capacitor since we are not given any values for both capacitors and resistors. I think it charges when Vin is positive and the resistor somehow discharges it when Vin is negative. Is there some equations I can use to know what Vout is?

For the circuit a) if Vin is negative, the diode is reverse bias thus should Vin=Vout?

Also does the graph change depending on where the Vin graph starts? Like if it starts off at +10 instead of -10 wouldn't the output graph be quite different?

Any help would be very much appreciated, I really just want to understand this underlying concept.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am having a really hard time understanding the role of the capacitor

What is the impedance of a capacitor (any capacitor) at very high frequencies?

Is a step voltage a low or high frequency event?

Impedance should be 0 at high frequency. I'm not sure if it's high or low frequency but I'm guessing step voltage is high frequency because of its sudden changes in voltage.

Correct. So during the fast rising and falling edges (the edges only) the capacitor behaves like a short circuit.

Try assuming that Vi = -10V for a long time before the first rising edge occurs. What will happen to Vo during that time?

Then what happens when the first rising edge occurs?

The voltage over the capacitor + the voltage at Vin will equal output voltage?

I understand the first one now. How do I go about doing the second one? When the resistor is in parallel I expected to see a the capacitor discharging/charging but my stimulation shows a rectangular waveform for the output

Have you set RC >> 1ms or RC << 1ms ?

If RC >> 1ms I think you will get a square wave. For example.. If both R are very large they might as well not be in the circuit so remove them. In that case Vo = Vi which is a square wave).

If RC << 1ms you will get alternate +ve and -ve steps/spikes each followed by an "RC curve" towards 0V. The curve will be faster in one direction than the other (eg either RC or 2RC).

I'm not quite understanding what it means when RC << T or RC >> T?

dla said:
I'm not quite understanding what it means when RC << T or RC >> T?

Those relations describe the two extremes of possibility. In the first, the capacitor is given plenty of time to discharge considerably during the half-period T, so expect to see exponential wavehapes around an RC circuit driven by square waves.

But if RC >> T then the capacitor has insufficient time to discharge during time T, meaning that the voltage across the capacitor plates barely changes during interval T. So, if there is a square-wave on one side of the capacitor, then where RC >> T you are going to see a nice square-wave on the other side of that capacitor.

The above holds true for RC circuits, but the presence of nonlinear elements (e.g., diodes) may change the effective R value at some voltage point.

What values did you use in the simulation for R & C?

I got it now, thanks for your help! Much appreciate it.

1. How can I plot the output voltage of a diode circuit over time?

To plot the output voltage of a diode circuit over time, you will need to use a simulation software or a circuit analysis tool. These tools allow you to input the circuit parameters and simulate the behavior of the circuit. The output voltage can then be plotted against time in the software.

2. What is the role of a capacitor in a circuit with diodes?

A capacitor helps to store and release electrical charge in a circuit. In a circuit involving diodes, a capacitor can help to smooth out the output voltage by filtering out any fluctuations or spikes. It also helps to maintain a steady output voltage by storing and supplying charge to the circuit as needed.

3. How do I choose the appropriate values for the diode and capacitor in my circuit?

The values of the diode and capacitor will depend on the specific circuit and its intended purpose. You can use circuit analysis tools to simulate different values and see how they affect the output voltage. You can also refer to the datasheets of the specific components for recommended values and specifications.

4. Can I plot the output voltage of a diode circuit without using simulation software?

Yes, you can plot the output voltage of a diode circuit without using simulation software by using an oscilloscope. An oscilloscope is a device used to measure and display electrical signals. You can connect the oscilloscope to the output of your circuit and observe the voltage over time.

5. How can I troubleshoot unexpected results in my output voltage graph?

If you are getting unexpected results in your output voltage graph, it could be due to incorrect circuit connections, faulty components, or incorrect values for the diode and capacitor. You can use circuit analysis tools to double-check your circuit connections and component values. If the issue persists, you may need to replace any faulty components.