Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage Regulator,

  1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    Hi, Thank you for all the help you've been providing, here I go again with another Electrical question:

    I am designing a PCB and I need a voltage regulator similar to this:

    http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6499/n7p3.png [Broken]

    but I dont want to use the LM7805 and the LM7905. I am trying to make this as small as possible, hopefully with all components being Surface mounted.

    I was thinking of using a PMIC, non linear voltage regulator. However I am trying to read the datasheet of the PMIC components and I dont really understand it,
    (example: http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/sc418.pdf)

    This datasheet shows a diagram with an Inductor (L1).

    does that mean that the chip itself has an inductor inside, or does that mean that I have to connect an inductor to that pin?

    I am not sure if this is the best way to approach this problem but I was wondering if anyone here can help me.

    Thank you!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2
    You need to connect an external inductor to that specific pin, also you need two external MOSFET, resistors and the cap as well.
  4. Nov 13, 2013 #3
    you want the L7805AC and L7905AC
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook