Do PMIC Voltage Regulators Include Internal Inductors?

In summary, the speaker is designing a PCB and needs a voltage regulator similar to the LM7805 and LM7905, but wants to make it smaller using surface mounted components. They are considering using a PMIC, but are having trouble understanding the datasheet and if they need to connect an external inductor. They are seeking help on the best approach to this problem.
_Bd_
Hi, Thank you for all the help you've been providing, here I go again with another Electrical question:

I am designing a PCB and I need a voltage regulator similar to this:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6499/n7p3.png

but I don't want to use the LM7805 and the LM7905. I am trying to make this as small as possible, hopefully with all components being Surface mounted.

I was thinking of using a PMIC, non linear voltage regulator. However I am trying to read the datasheet of the PMIC components and I don't really understand it,
(example: http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/sc418.pdf)

This datasheet shows a diagram with an Inductor (L1).

does that mean that the chip itself has an inductor inside, or does that mean that I have to connect an inductor to that pin?

I am not sure if this is the best way to approach this problem but I was wondering if anyone here can help me.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to connect an external inductor to that specific pin, also you need two external MOSFET, resistors and the cap as well.

you want the L7805AC and L7905AC

1. What is a voltage regulator and why is it important in PCB design?

A voltage regulator is an electronic circuit that maintains a constant output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load. It is important in PCB design because it ensures that the components on the circuit receive a stable and appropriate voltage, preventing damage and ensuring proper functionality.

2. How does a voltage regulator work?

A voltage regulator works by using a feedback mechanism to adjust its output voltage to a desired level. It compares the output voltage to a reference voltage and makes changes accordingly to maintain a constant output.

3. What are the different types of voltage regulators used in PCB design?

There are three main types of voltage regulators used in PCB design: linear regulators, switching regulators, and shunt regulators. Linear regulators are simple, low-cost, and provide a stable output, but are not very efficient. Switching regulators are more complex and expensive, but are highly efficient and can handle larger loads. Shunt regulators are used for precision voltage references and are used to regulate small fluctuations in voltage.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a voltage regulator for PCB design?

There are several factors that should be considered when choosing a voltage regulator for PCB design, including the required output voltage, input voltage range, load current, efficiency, and cost. It is also important to consider the type of application the PCB will be used for and the specific requirements of the components on the circuit.

5. What are some common issues that can arise with voltage regulators in PCB design?

Some common issues that can arise with voltage regulators in PCB design include voltage drops, noise or fluctuations in the output voltage, and overheating. It is important to carefully select and properly install the voltage regulator to prevent these issues. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring should be conducted to ensure the voltage regulator is functioning correctly.