Volume of a region between two spheres?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a sphere bounded by two given spheres. The solution involves finding the equation of the intersection of the two spheres and using a double integral with polar coordinates. The participants mention their previous experience with double and triple integrals and spherical coordinates, and one of them provides a helpful hint to approach the problem.
lax1113

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a sphere bounded above by the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 and below by the sphere X^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In class we have been doing double integrals with rectangular and polar, but I kinda feel like this would be a triple integral since we are going to have to consider dz dy and dx. I know sometimes we can substitute for one (for example we have done the intersection of a plane and a quadric surface such as a paraboloid) but I am really not sure how I would go about starting this.
Also, we have yet to cover integrals involving spherical coordinates yet, so I don't think that is what he is expecting us to use.

I apologize for not having a real attempt at the solution, but at the moment I am just looking for a step in the right direction so that I can hopefully get something going.

Thanks,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the equation of the intersection of the two spheres (subtract the equations to get z). That will give you the boundary of the xy domain. Then just use a double integral with polar coordinates, taking care which is the upper and lower surface.

LC,
Thanks a lot. After that it was actually pretty simple. I just couldn't really think of how to get to that point, greatly appreciate the hint.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a region between two spheres?

The formula for finding the volume of a region between two spheres is V = ⅓πh(3a² + 3b² + h²), where a and b are the radii of the two spheres and h is the distance between their centers.

How do you determine the height (h) in the volume formula?

The height (h) can be determined by taking the difference between the radii of the two spheres and subtracting it from the distance between their centers.

Can the volume of a region between two spheres be negative?

No, the volume of a region between two spheres cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space between the two spheres and is always a positive value.

What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume can vary depending on the system of measurement used. In the metric system, the unit is typically cubic meters (m³), while in the imperial system, it is usually cubic feet (ft³).

Can the volume of a region between two spheres be calculated if the spheres overlap?

Yes, the volume of a region between two spheres can still be calculated if the spheres overlap. In this case, the formula needs to be adjusted to account for the overlap and may result in a negative value for the volume.