1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Solid of Revolution Question

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y= -(x/6) + b, find the volume as this solid is rotated 360 degrees around the Y axis

2. Relevant equations

If I were given the interval at which I needed to find the volume and/or the value of B I could easily do this using the formula:

[pi] Integrate: (R(y))2 dx

3. The attempt at a solution

What I am trying to ascertain is whether or not this problem is even doable. I dont know if my professor intentionally left out the interval and b value and wants us to do it algebraically but I can't move ahead as most of the questions are based off this one. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

The general formula for this is given by:
    [tex]
    V=\pi\int_{a}^{b}y^{2}(x)dx
    [/tex]

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3
    is it possible to do this question without being given the bounds or knowing where the line sits? Because there is no y intercept and I'm not too sure how you would find the volume without enough information to get the area of the original shape

5. Jul 17, 2011 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi reybob! welcome to pf! :smile:
    no, without limits it makes no sense :redface:

6. Jul 17, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course, you mean dy.

You could make up your own x or y limits of c and d and leave your answer as a function of c, d, and b. Better might be to ask the prof if he forgot to include limits.

7. Jul 17, 2011 #6
    Yeah I think I'm going to have to do that. Thank you so much for all this help, this forum rocks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook