1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of sphere cut by two parrallel planes

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sphere of radius R with centre at the origin is cut by two parallel planes at [itex]z=\pm a[/itex], where a<R. Write, in cylindrical coordinates, a triple integral which gives the volume of that part of the sphere between the two planes. Evaluate the volume by first performing the r,θ integrals and the the remaining z integral.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] dV=rdrdθdz [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The main probelm here is the setting up of my integral, as the answer I am getting is independant of R, which is then clearly wrong.

My integral runs from:
    [itex]r=\sqrt{R^2-a^2}[/itex] to [itex] r=\sqrt{R^2-z^2} [/itex]
    [itex] θ=0 [/itex] to [itex] θ=2\pi [/itex]
    [itex] z=-a [/itex] to [itex] z=a [/itex]

I would expect the answer to depend on R, but it keeps cancelling out when I evaluate the r integral. I would be grateful if someone could explain what is wrong with my limits.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think r should go from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{R^2-z^2}[/itex]. Shouldn't it?

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Well that is certainly true to get the formula for the volume of the whole sphere, but in this case the minimum value that r takes is [itex] \sqrt{R^2-a^2} [/itex]. Your proposal is one that I have considered, but I don't see how it can be justified.

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already have the z limits from -a to a. Doesn't that take care of the a dependency? You may be visualizing the r coordinate wrong. It's the distance from the z axis to the edge of your solid parallel to the x-y plane.

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5
    Ah yes, just recognised the problem. I was only imagining r as being the distance to the surface from the z axis, neglecting all the interior volume where it can reduce to 0... Thanks!

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Your original limits would be for the volume of a sphere with a cylinder cut out of it. Interesting that the R cancels, isn't it? You might not guess that to be true looking a picture of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook