Volume under a paraboloid and above a disk

In summary, a paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a parabola when cut through a plane. A disk, on the other hand, is a two-dimensional circular shape with a flat surface. The volume under a paraboloid and above a disk can be calculated using the formula V = 1/2 * π * r^2 * h, with r as the disk's radius and h as the paraboloid's height. This calculation has various applications in architecture, engineering, and physics. The volume cannot be negative as it represents the space occupied by the paraboloid above the disk.
cad2blender
Ok its a simple question really... say that I have to find the volume (using polar coordinates) of the solid under the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2 and above the disk x^2+y^2≤9. My approach would be to find the z value of where the cylinder and paraboloid intersect. Then find the volume of the paraboloid using the value of the plane where it intersects, then subtract it from the volume of the cylinder, this seems right to me. I'm getting z=18 for the point where the cylinder and paraboloid intercept, is this right? For some reason my gut is telling me that its 9 not 18. I simply plugged in the radius of the circle into the paraboloid formula

Physics news on Phys.org
After calculating this I got 40.5*pi, is this correct? is there a way that I can check this?

The only way to check it is to try and find another way to do it and see if you get the same thing. I did it using polar coordinates (which is pretty easy) and got 81*pi/2.

thanks I also got the same as you, I am prety sure we're both right. Thanks again

1. What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a parabola when cut through a plane. It has a curved surface and can be created by rotating a parabola around its axis.

2. What is a disk?

A disk is a two-dimensional circular shape with a flat surface. It has a diameter, which is the distance across the circle through its center, and a radius, which is half of the diameter.

3. How is the volume under a paraboloid and above a disk calculated?

The volume under a paraboloid and above a disk is calculated using the formula V = 1/2 * π * r^2 * h, where r is the radius of the disk and h is the height of the paraboloid.

4. What are the applications of calculating the volume under a paraboloid and above a disk?

Calculating the volume under a paraboloid and above a disk has various applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It can be used to determine the amount of material needed to construct a parabolic structure or to calculate the volume of a liquid in a container with a parabolic shape.

5. Can the volume under a paraboloid and above a disk be negative?

No, the volume under a paraboloid and above a disk cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space occupied by the paraboloid above the disk, and volume is always a positive quantity.