1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumetric expansion

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    Hello, Could someone explain to me when referring to temperature and heat, speciffically volume thermal expansion how 3 alpha equals beta? If you could show me in a formula that would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi mjongem, welcome to PF. The approximation [itex]\beta=3\alpha[/itex] is something you can prove to yourself.

1. Start with the definitions of linear and volumetric thermal expansion coefficiencts.
    2. Considering a cube, write the volume change as a function of unit volume in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex].
    3. Assume small expansions compared to the size of the object, and simplify power terms by a Taylor series expansion (e.g., [itex](1+a)^3\approx 1+3a[/itex] when a is small).

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    I was wondering if you would show me the exact wat to derive my question, I have not taken calculus before, and I just wanted to see how three alpha equals beta

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We don't just provide solutions here, since that wouldn't help anyone learn. If you show your work in solving a problem, though, you'll usually be able to get help if you get stuck.

If you're interested in solving the problem yourself, try the steps I outlined above. Calculus isn't necessary once you have the approximation [itex](1+\alpha)^3\approx 1+3\alpha[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook