How to Convert Between Velocity-Distance and Distance-Time Graphs?

• Thread starter ShakeECET109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the teacher is trying to tell us that we should be drawing Velocity-Distance,Acc-Distance, and Distance-time graphs, but he is confusing them and is not clear on what the graphs represent.
ShakeECET109
QUIZ4.jpg

^^Exact photo copy of my quiz, let me know if its not showing up

Hi Guys, I messed up bad on a recent quiz on these easy VT and DT graphs. I am having trouble going from one to another. I recently took this quiz and pretty much got everyone wrong since then I have googled and read the chapter as much as possible, but I can't find any good completed examples to know if I am doing it correctly. In our book it basically calls these things frequency polygons, histograms. Are they the same?? Is there any way to enter the x,y coordinates for a Distance time graph in my TI-89 titanium and have it output the velocity graph?? I have a test over this tomorrow and I am still a little confused

Can anyone show me the correct graphs for these 3 problems i missed on the quiz??

Thanks in advance for any info.

P.S. anyone have any good resources on how to plot derivatives on a graph ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With those all I'd do is divide each section into chunks, draw a graph below it where the chunks are parallel to the new graph, and ask a question about each chunk and what would make sense to fill into the new graph.

For example, if the velocity is keeping at 10m/s the distance will rise at a slope of 10m/s. if the velocity is keeping at -10m/s the distance will fall at a slope of -10m/s.

Another example would be finding the the velocity when given the distance. So if the distance isn't changing at all (no slope) then what will the velocity be?

I guess it's just a matter of asking the right questions and converting the pictures to words where logic becomes more intuitive.

Yeah, I get confused when "Chunking" the graphs. On the distance-time graph to velocity time. if the Distance drops -30 at 60 seconds what would the velocity bar look like? To find the velocity and represent it in a bar graph am I suppose to divide the change in distance for that "chunk" by the change in time for that "chunk".

Like if the distance drops -30 at 60 seconds, but the chunks are 20 seconds part. Do I divide -30 by the 20 second chunk? which would be represented by a bar graph that reachers 1.5 m/s on the y-axis of the velocity graph?

Another example would be finding the the velocity when given the distance. So if the distance isn't changing at all (no slope) then what will the velocity be?

The velocity would be 0? I feel like i know the answer, just not why it makes sense?

bump!

Hi guys, I am having trouble telling the difference between Velocity-Distance,Acc-Distance and Distance-time graphs.

My teacher seems to want us to go from Velocity-distance graphs too Distance -time and vice versa, but it seems like the graphs he is talking about are acceleration.

He keeps saying that the velocity graphs we are suppose to draw won't have cruved or diagnal lines. He says they should look like bar graphs and I am really confused on how to draw a velocity graph that represents the graphs on the quiz

1. What is a VT and DT graph?

A VT and DT graph, also known as a velocity-time and displacement-time graph, is a visual representation of an object's motion over time. It shows the relationship between an object's velocity (speed and direction) and displacement (change in position) at different points in time.

2. How do I interpret a VT and DT graph?

To interpret a VT and DT graph, look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity. The shape of the line can also indicate the type of motion: a horizontal line represents constant velocity, a straight diagonal line represents constant acceleration, and a curved line represents changing acceleration.

3. What does the x-axis and y-axis represent on a VT and DT graph?

The x-axis on a VT and DT graph represents time, while the y-axis represents either velocity or displacement. It is important to check the labels on the axes to determine which variable is being represented.

4. How can I use a VT and DT graph to calculate an object's acceleration?

To calculate acceleration using a VT and DT graph, you can use the slope of the line. The slope is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time. This can also be written as a = ∆v/∆t, where a is acceleration, ∆v is change in velocity, and ∆t is change in time.

5. Can a VT and DT graph be used for non-uniform motion?

Yes, a VT and DT graph can be used for non-uniform motion. In this case, the line on the graph will be curved rather than straight. You can still use the slope of the line to calculate acceleration, but the value will be changing at different points in time rather than staying constant.