Motivation for Theta = Pi/2 on Wald GR p138

• A
  • Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, on page 138 of Wald's General Relativity, he discusses the symmetry of the Schwarzschild metric and how it allows for a simplification in computing the geodesic equations. By considering the equatorial plane of ##\theta = \pi/2##, it is possible to restrict the study to equatorial geodesics without loss of generality. This is similar to the simplification in Newtonian mechanics where conservation of angular momentum occurs in central force problems. However, there is some confusion in understanding Wald's argument for the entire geodesic lying in the equatorial plane. The solution lies in the parity reflection symmetry, where the particular value of ##\theta = \pi/2## is a fixed point
strangerep
Science Advisor
On p138 of Wald's General Relativity, 4th para, he says:

Wald said:
[...] First, we note that because of the parity reflection symmetry, ##\theta \to \pi - \theta##, of the Schwarzschild metric, if the initial position and tangent vector of a geodesic lie in the "equatorial plane" ##\theta = \pi/2##, then the entire geodesic must lie in this "plane." Since every geodesic can be brought to an initially (and hence everywhere) equatorial geodesic by a rotational isometry, this means that without loss of generality we may restrict attention to study of the equatorial geodesics, and we shall do so.
Firstly, I already understand (of course) that this sort of simplification is easy and immediate in Newtonian mechanics, since conservation of angular momentum always occurs in central force problems (the proof is just a few lines) and one can re-orient the coordinates so that motion occurs in the plane perpendicular to the angular momentum axis.

Secondly, in GR, if one actually computes the connection coefficients for Schwarzschild, to write down the geodesic equations explicitly, one then sees immediately that ##\theta=\pi/2## (say) is a convenient choice that one can make without loss of generality.

But I don't follow Wald's particular argument, i.e., that the symmetry ##\theta\to \pi-\theta## allows one to conclude that "if the initial position and tangent vector of a geodesic lie in the equatorial plane ##\theta=\pi/2##, then the entire geodesic must lie in this plane.''

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't he just using the "which way would it go" rhetorical question? If your particular initial conditions don't pick out a direction of increase/decrease for ##\theta## the symmetry of the metric implies any argument for "##\theta## will increase" must apply equally to "##\pi-\theta## will increase", so such an argument must be self-contradictory?

Last edited:
Likes strangerep, PeterDonis, Dale and 1 other person
I think Hartle argued this for initially ##\phi =0## to show the motion is planar. And then took the plane to be ##\theta = \frac \pi 2##.

I think the most simple argument is to use "isotropic coordinates" first. There the Schwarzschild line element reads
$$\mathrm{d} s^2 =\frac{[1-m/(2 R)]^2}{[1+m/(2R)]^2} c^2 \mathrm{d} t^2 - [1+m/(2R)]^4 \mathrm{d} \vec{x}^2,$$
where ##R=|\vec{x}|^2## and ##\vec{x}=(x^1,x^2,x^3)##.

The square-form Lagrangian for the geodesic reads
$$L=\frac{1}{2} \dot{s}^2,$$
where the dot denotes the derivative wrt. an arbitrary world-line parameter, ##\lambda##, which is automatically affine, because since ##L## doesn't depend explicitly on ##\lambda##, i.e., ##H=p_{\mu} q^{\mu}-L=L=\text{const}##, where ##p_{\mu} = \partial_{\dot{q}^{\mu}} L##, and for a massive particle we can set ##\lambda=\tau##, such that ##(\mathrm{d}_{\tau} s)^2=c^2##.

It's now also manifest that the solution is rotationally symmetric, i.e., the Lagrangian is invariant under rotations ##\vec{x}'=\hat{R} \vec{x}## with ##\hat{R} \in \mathrm{SO}(3)##. This implies that the angular momentum ##\vec{x} \times \vec{p}## is conserved as in Newtonian physics, and thus the trajectory is in a plane.

Since you know that the trajectory is in a plane, you can make the angular momentum pointing in ##x^3## direction, which means that ##\vartheta=\pi/2=\text{const}## for the usual spherical coordinates,
$$\vec{x}=R \begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \sin \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix},$$
Since you get from the isotropic coordinates to the Schwarzschild coordinates by only transforming ##R## to ##r##, this also holds in Schwarzschild coordinates.

Likes strangerep and dextercioby
strangerep said:
I don't follow Wald's particular argument, i.e., that the symmetry ##\theta\to \pi-\theta## allows one to conclude that "if the initial position and tangent vector of a geodesic lie in the equatorial plane ##\theta=\pi/2##, then the entire geodesic must lie in this plane.''

What am I missing?
The parity reflection symmetry in general means that we can take any solution to the geodesic equation and substitute ##\theta \to \pi - \theta## (and make all other changes that go along with this, such as changing derivatives with respect to ##\theta##) to get another solution. In general this will yield a pair of distinct solutions.

However, the particular value ##\theta = \pi / 2## is a fixed point of the parity reflection symmetry, which means that the symmetry takes any solution to the geodesic equation whose initial conditions are entirely in the plane ##\theta = \pi / 2## into itself. That can only be the case if the solution lies entirely in that plane.

Ibix said:
If your particular initial conditions don't pick out a direction of increase/decrease for ##\theta## the symmetry of the metric implies any argument for "##\theta## will increase" must apply equally to "##\pi-\theta## will increase", so such an argument must be self-contradictory?
If you add the qualifier that this argument only works for ##\theta = \pi / 2##, then I think it amounts to the same argument I gave above.

Likes vanhees71, strangerep and Ibix
PeterDonis said:
The parity reflection symmetry in general means that we can take any solution to the geodesic equation and substitute ##\theta \to \pi - \theta## (and make all other changes that go along with this, such as changing derivatives with respect to ##\theta##) to get another solution. In general this will yield a pair of distinct solutions.

However, the particular value ##\theta = \pi / 2## is a fixed point of the parity reflection symmetry, which means that the symmetry takes any solution to the geodesic equation whose initial conditions are entirely in the plane ##\theta = \pi / 2## into itself. That can only be the case if the solution lies entirely in that plane.
Thank you! (And thanks also to @Ibix , @vanhees71 and @PeroK.)

I must be getting older than I realize. :oldfrown:

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Ibix

1. What is the significance of setting Theta to Pi/2 on Wald GR p138?

Setting Theta to Pi/2 on Wald GR p138 is significant because it represents the maximum value for the angle, which corresponds to the point of closest approach for a particle orbiting a central mass. This angle also plays a crucial role in determining the shape and stability of the orbit.

2. How does setting Theta to Pi/2 affect the equations of motion in Wald GR p138?

Setting Theta to Pi/2 alters the equations of motion in Wald GR p138 by simplifying them. At this angle, the radial component of the equation of motion becomes zero, and the angular component becomes independent of the radial coordinate. This simplification allows for a more straightforward analysis of the particle's motion.

3. Can Theta be set to any value other than Pi/2 on Wald GR p138?

Yes, Theta can be set to any value on Wald GR p138, but setting it to Pi/2 is the most common and useful choice. Other values of Theta may be used for specific cases or to study the behavior of the equations of motion under different conditions.

4. How does the choice of Theta affect the gravitational potential in Wald GR p138?

The choice of Theta does not directly affect the gravitational potential in Wald GR p138. However, it does affect the shape and stability of the orbit, which in turn can influence the gravitational potential. A more stable orbit will have a deeper potential well, while an unstable orbit will have a shallower potential well.

5. What implications does setting Theta to Pi/2 have on the overall understanding of gravity and spacetime?

Setting Theta to Pi/2 on Wald GR p138 allows for a better understanding of the relationship between gravity and spacetime. It shows that the shape and stability of orbits are intimately connected to the curvature of spacetime, and that the choice of Theta can greatly affect these properties. This understanding has implications for our understanding of gravity and its effects on the behavior of matter in the universe.