Want to study nano-particles in Germany, Ph.D. or a second Master?

In summary,- An on-site visit to Germany is possible, but it would be expensive and time-consuming.- A second master's degree is not necessary for a Ph.D. position, and research experience in the field is sufficient.
Tekk
Hello,

I have completed a Master program in China, during which, I joined in a project applying nano-particles in optical device. The project motivated me to study optical property of nano-particles, and I am looking for a Ph.D. position in Germany. The problem is: how do I get known with my potential research group since I have no way to visit there? Two thoughts came to my mind:

A.
Before entering Ph.D, I apply to an international Master program in Germany, such as MAOT.

http://www.aot.uni-erlangen.de/maot/home.html

During the Master, I may get known with the people and research their. But I have already got a Master’s in China. Will I be rejected for this?

B.
I apply to a so-called structural Ph.D. program directly, such as In that case, do I need to contact a professor before making an application?

Are there any recommendation?​

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look for PhD programs and ask the professors/contact persons - you do not have to do that (you can directly send an application - why not?), but usually this is a good idea. It can help to make the application better, and you are more than a random applicant then.

A second master is possible I guess, but I would avoid it - you have a MSc and research experience in the right field, that should be qualification enough for a PhD position.

mfb said:
I would look for PhD programs and ask the professors/contact persons - you do not have to do that (you can directly send an application - why not?), but usually this is a good idea. It can help to make the application better, and you are more than a random applicant then.

A second master is possible I guess, but I would avoid it - you have a MSc and research experience in the right field, that should be qualification enough for a PhD position.

Hello, mfb

Thank you so much for your advice. I found a Ph.D. student job advertisement that I may be interested in, and I plan to study on the project first and then contact the corresponding professor. Is that seemed a good way I could have a taste of the research before I come here? However, I am still worrying about the limited information I could get without an on-site visit. With that said, if I would like to attend a Master program in Germany and the main purpose is to find a research group that is suitable for me, what kind of program would you recommend?

Tekk said:
Is that seemed a good way I could have a taste of the research before I come here?
I certainly does not harm to know the topics they are working on.
Tekk said:
However, I am still worrying about the limited information I could get without an on-site visit.
An on-site visit is certainly interesting, but do you want to plan 2 years for that? Visiting Germany for a week would be cheaper than visiting it for 2 years.
Tekk said:
what kind of program would you recommend?
No idea, I don't know nano-particles groups.

mfb said:
I certainly does not harm to know the topics they are working on.
An on-site visit is certainly interesting, but do you want to plan 2 years for that? Visiting Germany for a week would be cheaper than visiting it for 2 years.
No idea, I don't know nano-particles groups.

Your reply is very helpful to me. Thank you!

1. What is the difference between a Ph.D. and a second Master's degree?

A Ph.D. is a research-focused degree that typically takes 3-5 years to complete. It requires students to conduct original research and make a significant contribution to their field. A second Master's degree, on the other hand, is more coursework-based and usually takes 1-2 years to complete. It can be a good option for students who want to gain more specialized knowledge in a particular area.

2. Why should I study nano-particles in Germany?

Germany is a global leader in nanotechnology research and has some of the top universities and research institutes in the world. Studying in Germany will give you access to state-of-the-art facilities, cutting-edge research, and a highly skilled and international academic community.

3. What are the job prospects after completing a Ph.D. or a second Master's in nano-particles?

Both a Ph.D. and a second Master's in nano-particles can lead to a variety of job opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, electronics, and materials science. With the growing demand for nanotechnology, there is a high demand for skilled professionals in this field.

4. What are the admission requirements for studying nano-particles in Germany?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, you will need a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, and proficiency in the English or German language. Some universities may also require GRE or other standardized test scores.

5. Can I receive funding for my studies in nano-particles in Germany?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for international students to study in Germany, including scholarships, grants, and research assistant positions. You can check with the university or research institute you are applying to for more information on specific funding options.