Warning about possible science journal scam

In summary, the conversation was about an email received from International Journal of Computer Science and Application (IJCSA) offering to publish for a fee. The email was suspicious as it was addressed to inappropriate personnel, had highlighted charges, had questionable English, and was from an organization based in India. The recipient was warned to be cautious of unsolicited emails like this.
Studiot
I am referring to inappropriate emails received at some UK government inboxes.

Dear ,
Greetings from International Journal of Computer Science and Application (IJCSA), which is published by Science Engineering Publishing Company (SEP), USA....

We’ll charge you 200$ for publishing fee.The topics includes, but not limited to:
• Computer science
• Computational mathematics
• Computer engineering and scientific computing for programmers
• Software and hardware manufacturers
• Reasoning knowledge extraction and knowledge management
• Machine Intelligence
• Diagnostic and Decision Supporting Systems
• Data and Web Mining
• Fuzzy Systems
• Rough Set Theory
• Chaos Theory and Evolutionary Algorithms
• Reasoning
• Knowledge Extraction and Knowledge Management
• Applications of Computer Science in Modeling
• Visualization and Multimedia
• Data and Information Systems
• Internet and Distributed Computer Systems
• Semantic Web Technologies and Social Semantic Web
• Graphics and Imaging
• Bio-informatics
• Natural Langauge Processing
• Computational Mathematics
• Robotics and Micro-Robotics
• Theoretical Informatics
• Quantum Computing
• Software Testing
• Computer Vision
• Digital Systems
• Pervasive Computing
• Computational Topology
• Information Personalization
• Human-Computer Interaction
• Ensemble Modeling
• Wavelet Representations
• Principle of Concurrency
• Software Life-cycle Management
• Social Network Mining
• Embedded Systems
• Pattern Recognition
• Signal Processing
• Bayesian Statistics
• Adaptive Control
• Sequential Decision Theory
• Digital Forensics

On behalf of the Editor in Chief
Science and Engineering Publishing Company
IJCSA Editorial Board

I am highly suspicious of this since

1) It was addressed to inappropriate personnel viz experts on the wrong fields.

2) Note the 'charges' highlighted in red.

3) The English is not quite right.

4) It is not clear how these people obtained internal government email addresses.

5) The internet suggests this is actually an outfit based in India.

Just because you are a Phd, Msc etc don't believe you can't be fooled so beware.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Any kind of unsolicited email such as that is high suspect.

Question 1: How can I spot a potential science journal scam?

There are a few red flags to look out for when evaluating a science journal for potential scam. These include a lack of peer review process, a suspiciously short or non-existent publication timeline, and a lack of clear and transparent information about the journal's editors and editorial board. Additionally, if the journal asks for payment upfront or guarantees publication without proper review, it is likely a scam.

Question 2: What should I do if I suspect a science journal is a scam?

If you have concerns about a science journal's legitimacy, it is best to do some research and gather evidence before taking any action. You can start by checking the journal's website for information about their editorial board, peer review process, and publication fees. You can also search for reviews or discussions about the journal by other scientists. If you have strong evidence that the journal is a scam, you can report it to the appropriate authorities, such as the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE).

Question 3: Are all open-access journals scams?

No, not all open-access journals are scams. Open-access simply means that the research published in the journal is freely available to the public. It is important to carefully evaluate the legitimacy of any journal, whether it is open-access or not.

Question 4: Is it safe to publish in a new or lesser-known journal?

It is generally safer to publish in a well-established and reputable journal. However, there are some new or lesser-known journals that are legitimate and may offer unique and valuable opportunities for publication. It is important to thoroughly research any journal before submitting your work.

Question 5: What can I do to protect myself from falling for a journal scam?

To protect yourself from falling for a journal scam, it is important to do your due diligence and thoroughly research any journal before submitting your work. You should also be cautious of any journal that guarantees publication without proper review or asks for payment upfront. It is also helpful to stay informed about common journal scams and to report any suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities.