Curing a Finger Wart - Solutions?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Duct tape occlusion therapy: placing a piece of duct tape over the wart for a week at a time- Banana skin bandaged onto the wart- Fluoroantimonic acid- Compound W (salicylic acid)- Cutting out the wart with a sharp knife- Over-the-counter medications for warts (applied daily for several weeks)- Prescription medications- Surgical removal- Freezing (cryotherapy)- Burning (electrocautery)- Laser treatment
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have a small wart on one finger, i have had it for years, so anyone have a magic cure?

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard duct tape.

Stick your finger in a cup of liquid N2, and spell your full name backward. Take your finger out and the wart will snap right off!

I tried all the conventional cures (none worked permanently) and then my grandma told me banana skin bandaged onto the wart was supposed to help. I was sceptical but tried it and it worked for me!

I think Fluoroantimonic acid works very good on those things..

Since you are looking for magical remedies :

I guess wikipedia adds some weight to GE's suggestion:

Duct tape occlusion therapy involves placing a piece of duct tape (or medical tape) over the affected area for a week at a time. The procedure is otherwise identical to that of using salicylic acid adhesive pads. One study found that the duct tape method was 85% effective, compared to a 60% success rate in the study's cryotherapy group. Another study, however, found no statistically significant effect. "Whether or not the standard type of duct tape is effective is up in the air," said co-author Dr. Rachel Wenner of the University of Minnesota, who started the new study as a medical student. "Theoretically, the rubber adhesive could somehow stimulate the immune system or irritate the skin in a different manner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wart#Household_remedies

But just go get it frozen off :-), worked for me.

Had one on my knee when I was a younger and cut it off with a razor blade.

There was actually an article in the news recently about someone testing duct tape in a controlled trial (not sure if it was double or single-blind, but the subjects weren't aware of the treatment). They said it didn't work. The only caveat is that they used clear duct tape to prevent the subjects from seeing it attached to the band-aids, so left it open that there's a different glue on the traditional gray duct tape that has a different effect than the clear duct tape.

Seriously, I have used the product "Compound W" before, and it did work. It took about two weeks, so I'm not too sure if it was psychosomatic or not. It sort of peeled it off bit by bit and ultimately left a hole in my skin, but all is well now; I just use a different finger when I play piano.

I had one on my finger years ago. Got tired of it and I didn't have health insurance, so I cut it out with a VERY sharp pocketknife. Kinda smarted, but it never came back and the hole healed up after a while.

Chi Meson said:
Seriously, I have used the product "Compound W" before, and it did work. It took about two weeks, so I'm not too sure if it was psychosomatic or not. It sort of peeled it off bit by bit and ultimately left a hole in my skin, but all is well now; I just use a different finger when I play piano.

It worked for me like that too. The wart turned bright white and crusty, and pieces of it just fell off until it was gone.

Tom Mattson said:
It worked for me like that too. The wart turned bright white and crusty, and pieces of it just fell off until it was gone.
:bugeye: There are certain parts of the body where you definitely do NOT want to use that then. :eek:

Evo said:
:bugeye: There are certain parts of the body where you definitely do NOT want to use that then. :eek:
:rofl:
I hope I didn't misunderstood this..

I think you understood, ziad, I think you understood.

Have you let a doc look at it? Doctors have magical lasers and potions and things that might be able to help you.

Compound W is pretty effective. The main ingredient is salicylic acid from which acetylsalicylic Acid (aspirin) is derived. It just slowly dissolves the wart.

Math Is Hard said:
Have you let a doc look at it? Doctors have magical lasers and potions and things that might be able to help you.

for crying out loud what has happened to you MIH, have you been in the biscuit barrel a few to many times

And yes i have seen a doctor, he was as much use as a chocolate
fire guard, he said it is no use cutting it out as it will only come
back.

wolram said:
for crying out loud what has happened to you MIH, have you been in the biscuit barrel a few to many times

back.
I cut mine out with a Victorionox 3-blade knife with a really new sharp main blade. There was a little thin white thread at the bottom of the hole that really caught my attention when I removed it. The wart is still gone, though.

MedlinePlus ( an*NIH site) has a few suggestions for treating common warts.

Over-the-counter medications can remove warts. These are applied to the wart every day for several weeks. DO NOT use these medications on your face or genitals. It helps to file the wart down when damp (for example, after a bath or shower) before applying these medications.

Stronger (prescription) medications may be required for removal of persistent warts. Surgical removal or removal by freezing (cryotherapy), burning (electrocautery), or laser treatment may be needed.

DO NOT attempt to remove a wart yourself by burning, cutting, tearing, picking...

I see many of these treatments have already been mentioned here. I also used an OTC remedy (Compound W) on a wart on my thumb. It sloughed away as Chi described. Besides salicylic acid, it also has acetic acid in there.

Here's some botanical trivia, what common plant(s) contain the methyl-ester of salicylic acid? :rolleyes:

*NIH - National Institute of Health, a US Gov't Agency. Within the NIH, this material comes by way of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

Last edited:
wolram said:
Yes! That's exactly what happened.:biggrin:
back.

Fair enough. If you'll remind me when it is the next new moon, I will perform a voodoo ritual to remove your affliction.:approve:

Ouabache said:
Here's some botanical trivia, what common plant(s) contain the methyl-ester of salicylic acid? :rolleyes:
I haven't looked to see what the exact formulation is, but native Americans used willow bark as a pain reliever.

wolram said:
I have a small wart on one finger, i have had it for years, so anyone have a magic cure?

If everything else fails,you must amputate that finger.:biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
hee hee I knew what thread that was going to be before I even clicked on the link. :rofl:

I'm predictable...:cry: :cry: :cry:

btw, what is your avatar? It looks kind of like our old fat cat, Dirt.

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm predictable...:cry: :cry: :cry:

btw, what is your avatar? It looks kind of like our old fat cat, Dirt.

It's a meatball. I'm Meatwad, from the cartoon Aqua Teen Hunger Force. We also have Frylock and Shake running around here. Greg's avatar is one of the characters, also.

turbo-1 said:
I haven't looked to see what the exact formulation is, but native Americans used willow bark as a pain reliever.

Good guess, as the base compound found in willow bark, is also an analgesic. I believe the active compound in willow bark is salicin an β-glycoside alcohol and cousin to (aspirin) acetyl-salicylic acid. Unfortunately it's not a methyl-ester of salicylic acid.

I was thinking of methyl-salicylate, commonly used in deep heating liniments. It occurs naturally in wintergreen (oil of wintergreen) but also found in http://www.yhc.edu/external/bio/Belebark.jpg (betula oil), and species of http://www.rolv.no/images/planteleksikon/P/pyrola_rotundifolia.jpg. I've found the shiny green leaves of wintergreen on rocky outcroppings here in the northern US, even in the middle of winter (living up to its name). Crushing a leaf or two, in your hand releases the familiar scent of wintergreen.:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
It's a meatball. I'm Meatwad, from the cartoon Aqua Teen Hunger Force..
Neat you're a shapeshifter..:smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
You could kill the wart by using this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=21807
I remember that thread. Poof mouse disintegration..

Math Is Hard said:
hee hee I knew what thread that was going to be before I even clicked on the link. :rofl:
Oh yeah, I thought it was going to be the one with Evo's new lawn cleaning device which happens to be a flamethrower as well.

1. What causes finger warts?

Finger warts are caused by a virus called the human papillomavirus (HPV). This virus can be easily spread through skin-to-skin contact or by touching objects that have been in contact with the virus.

2. How do I know if I have a finger wart?

Finger warts usually appear as small, flesh-colored bumps on the fingers or around the nails. They may also have tiny black dots in the center. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

3. Can finger warts go away on their own?

In some cases, finger warts may go away on their own without treatment. However, this can take months or even years, and the wart may continue to spread during this time. It is best to seek treatment to prevent the wart from spreading or becoming more difficult to remove.

4. What are the treatment options for finger warts?

There are several treatment options for finger warts, including over-the-counter medications, cryotherapy (freezing the wart with liquid nitrogen), laser treatment, and surgical removal. The best treatment option will depend on the size, location, and severity of the wart.

5. How can I prevent finger warts?

To prevent finger warts, it is important to practice good hygiene and avoid touching warts on yourself or others. If you have a finger wart, cover it with a bandage to prevent spreading it to other areas of your body or to other people. It is also important to avoid sharing personal items, such as towels or nail clippers, with others.