Was water brought to Earth on comets?

In summary, this article has a different spin on how water came to Earth, and it seems that water arrived on our planet much earlier than previously thought.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This article has a different spin on how water came to Earth.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...st-have-arrived-here-earlier-than-we-thought/

The arrival of water on our planet wasn’t a last-minute job.

Water came to Earth on icy comets after most of the planet and its core were formed, about 4.5 billion years ago, according to a leading theory.

But now an analysis of isotopes from meteorites born earlier, when the solar system was formed, seems to imply that the wet stuff got here much sooner.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
wolram said:
This article has a different spin on how water came to Earth.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...st-have-arrived-here-earlier-than-we-thought/

The arrival of water on our planet wasn’t a last-minute job.

Water came to Earth on icy comets after most of the planet and its core were formed, about 4.5 billion years ago, according to a leading theory.

But now an analysis of isotopes from meteorites born earlier, when the solar system was formed, seems to imply that the wet stuff got here much sooner.

I believe they're talking about: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/346/6209/623

I think at this point it's safe to say most of the water on Earth was here during formation and not brought in by icy bodies at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes wolram
I find it amusing that some people try to dismiss the idea that water, or even life, formed on Earth by proposing that it must have arrived via comets or meteorites. This then poses the problem of "How did the water, or life, get onto these comets/meteorites to start with?". It is similar to attributing the creation of Earth to a being, who must have had a creator before itself, and so on, or had always existed independently of the universe..

This appears to be the way natural phenomena were explained by those who did not know or understand the science involved..

Mic D said:
Who's to say whether that water was formed here along with the rest of the planet

Science?

Hydrogen and oxygen are the first and third most abundant elements in the universe, so water is ubiquitous. So I'm sure the answer to the question of, "Was water present when the Earth was formed, or was it brought here by comets?", is, "Both."

Likes Student100
phyzguy said:
Hydrogen and oxygen are the first and third most abundant elements in the universe, so water is ubiquitous. So I'm sure the answer to the question of, "Was water present when the Earth was formed, or was it brought here by comets?", is, "Both."
In your judgment, which was more?

Chestermiller said:
In your judgment, which was more?

I don't know, but since most of the mass came from the initial formation, I would think most of the water also came from the initial formation.

Thank you for your replies.

1. Where did the idea that water came to Earth on comets come from?

The idea that water on Earth may have come from comets was first proposed by scientists in the 1970s. This theory was based on observations of the composition of comets, which are known to contain large amounts of frozen water.

2. How could comets have brought water to Earth?

Comets are thought to have formed in the outer regions of the solar system, where temperatures are cold enough for water to freeze. As these comets traveled towards the inner solar system, some of them may have collided with Earth, bringing water in the form of ice and liquid to our planet.

3. Is there any evidence to support the theory that comets brought water to Earth?

Yes, there is evidence to support this theory. Analysis of the composition of water on Earth and on comets shows that they have similar ratios of hydrogen and deuterium (a heavier form of hydrogen). This suggests that comets could have contributed to Earth's water supply.

4. Are there other theories about the origin of water on Earth?

Yes, there are other theories about the origin of water on Earth. Some scientists believe that water was present on Earth from the beginning, while others suggest that it may have been brought to our planet by meteorites or other celestial bodies.

5. How does the theory that comets brought water to Earth impact our understanding of the origins of life?

The theory that comets brought water to Earth is important in understanding the origins of life on our planet. Water is essential for life as we know it, so the presence of water on Earth is a crucial factor in the development of living organisms. If comets did indeed bring water to Earth, it is possible that they also brought other organic materials that may have played a role in the origins of life.