Water Fall Momentum Question

In summary, the water falls at a velocity of 34.3 m/s before filling the bucket. Using the impulse momentum theorem, the instantaneous force is found to be 8.58 N. After 2 seconds, the weight of the water already in the bucket is added to the force, resulting in a scale reading of 16.2 N.
asura

Homework Statement

Water falls at the rate of 250 g/s from a height of 60 m into a 780 g bucket on a scale (without splashing). If the bucket is originally empty, what does the scale read after 2 s?

Homework Equations

p=mv
F[tex]\Delta[/tex]t=[tex]\Delta[/tex]p

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assumed that the water was already beginning to fill the bucket at t=0, since it can't reach the bucket in 2s.

First I found the velocity of the water right before it fills the bucket...
vf2=vi2+2ax
vf2= 2(9.81 m/s2)(60m)
vf= 34.3 m/s

Then I used the impulse momentum theorem...
F( 2 s) = .500 kg( 0 - 34.3 m/s)
F = 8.58 N

Weight of the bucket is mg, which is 7.65 N...
so 8.58 + 7.65 is 16.2 N

im not sure about this though... can someone double check my work, I only have one try left

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi asura! :smile:
asura said:
First I found the velocity of the water right before it fills the bucket...
vf2=vi2+2ax
vf2= 2(9.81 m/s2)(60m)
vf= 34.3 m/s

Then I used the impulse momentum theorem...
F( 2 s) = .500 kg( 0 - 34.3 m/s)
F = 8.58 N

Weight of the bucket is mg, which is 7.65 N...
so 8.58 + 7.65 is 16.2 N

im not sure about this though... can someone double check my work, I only have one try left

Yes, your v is correct. :smile:

But your method after that is completely wrong.

The impulse momentum theorem is the correct principle, but you should use it to find the instantaneous force (because the scale only measures instantaneous force, not total force).

Then add the weight of the water already in the bucket

(and don't forget to convert from N back into g :wink:)

Your approach and calculations are correct. The scale would read 16.2 N after 2 seconds. However, it is important to note that the initial velocity of the water should be taken into account in the impulse-momentum theorem, as it adds to the final momentum of the water in the bucket. So the correct equation would be FΔt = Δp + mv, where m is the mass of the water already in the bucket at t=0. This would result in a slightly different final answer, but the overall method is correct. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Water Fall Momentum Question?

The Water Fall Momentum Question is a thought experiment that explores the concept of momentum conservation in a hypothetical scenario where a waterfall is suspended in mid-air.

2. How does the Water Fall Momentum Question relate to physics?

The Water Fall Momentum Question is an example of an application of the law of conservation of momentum in physics. It allows us to understand how momentum is conserved in a system despite the presence of external forces.

3. Can the Water Fall Momentum Question be applied to real-life scenarios?

While the Water Fall Momentum Question is a hypothetical thought experiment, the principles and concepts it explores can be applied to real-life scenarios. For example, it can be used to explain the behavior of objects in motion, such as a car crash or a billiard ball rolling on a table.

4. What are some key takeaways from the Water Fall Momentum Question?

One key takeaway from the Water Fall Momentum Question is that momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects in the system remains constant. Another takeaway is that external forces can affect the motion of objects, but the total momentum of the system remains the same.

5. How can the Water Fall Momentum Question be useful for scientific research?

The Water Fall Momentum Question can be useful for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It can also serve as a starting point for further exploration and experimentation in the field of physics, leading to new discoveries and advancements in scientific research.