Water flow and propeller speed

In summary, The conversation is about seeking help and references for calculating the RPM of a fixed mounted propeller that is subjected to a flow of water with known velocity. The person also mentions a special project involving designing a propeller for measuring flow meters, and is looking for the necessary parameters to achieve the desired RPM.
dioross
hi everyone!
need some help about propellers..say i have a fixed mounted propeller and a flow of water with known velocity runs through it.. what would be the rpm of the propeller??.. i know there a re lots of things and parameters to consider... i need some good references, calculations ,and basic formulas..thanks!..any help would be appreciated..

Regards,

dioross

Physics news on Phys.org
im having a special project in flow meters and i want to design a propeller that provides RPM given a velocity of incoming water.. so i can disregard power, lift,drag,torque calculations..or what should i do?...all i want to have is the parameters of the propeller that provides the designed RPM..thanks

1. How does water flow affect the speed of a propeller?

Water flow is a crucial factor in determining the speed of a propeller. The propeller blades are designed to create a force that pushes against the water, causing the boat to move forward. Therefore, the more water flowing over the blades, the faster the propeller will turn and the faster the boat will move.

2. What is the relationship between propeller speed and boat speed?

The speed of a boat is directly related to the speed of the propeller. As the propeller speed increases, so does the boat speed. However, there is a point of diminishing returns where increasing the propeller speed will not significantly increase the boat speed due to drag and other factors.

3. How does water density affect propeller speed?

Water density refers to the amount of mass per unit volume of water. Higher water density means there is more mass per unit volume, which results in more resistance for the propeller to overcome. This will ultimately result in a decrease in propeller speed and boat speed.

4. What is the optimal propeller speed for maximum efficiency?

The optimal propeller speed for maximum efficiency varies depending on the type of boat and its design. Generally, boat manufacturers will provide a recommended range of propeller speeds for their specific models. It is important to stay within this range to achieve maximum efficiency and avoid damaging the propeller or engine.

5. How can I increase the speed of my boat by adjusting the propeller speed?

Adjusting the propeller speed alone will not significantly increase the speed of your boat. Other factors such as boat design, weight, and engine power also play a significant role. However, you can experiment with different propeller speeds within the recommended range to find the optimal speed for your boat's performance.