Water Flow Questions - Solve with Warm Welcome!

In summary, Arkham Angel says that the questions are too elementary for her, and she wants help understanding what the information is trying to tell her.
Arkham_Angel
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Having said that, please forgive me if I'm being ignorant or unintentionally lazy.

I was also unsure where to put this question. Again, my apologies if it's in the wrong area. Ok! On to my questions. And by all means point me to some reading material instead of answering if you want to! I'm not above educating myself! :wink:

Scenario (I will try to provide as much information as I can think of):

Environment:
Temperature: 5 degrees Celsius
Elevation: 1 meter AMSL
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.9
Humidity: 50%

Container properties:
1 cubic meter @ 10 cm thickness
Water Drain: One 2.5 cm opening placed in the center of one of the cube walls (facing 'down').
Air Drain: One 2.5 cm opening placed directly opposite of the water drain (facing 'up')

Water properties:
Quantity: 1000 liters

The Question(s)
At what rate in centimeters per second will the water flow through the drain opening? Will the flow rate changes as water is emptied from the container? At what rate will the change be?

How much work would be required to pump the water back into the cube assuming the water emptied into another container shaped like the one mentioned above? The cube in which the water empties into is .5 meters to the right and .5 meters below the container mentioned above. Assume that a hose 2.5 cm in diameter is attached to the water drain which has a 2.5 cm 'nozzle' on it.

I hope I provided enough information and thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks,

-Arkham Angel-

Physics news on Phys.org
Err.. are these types of questions too much, too elementary or? Anyone point me in the right direction at least?

Thanks,

-Arkham Angel-

Noone said:
and if you know how i can make my own posts could you reply please -.- i really want to start a talk about Absolute Zero and the conflict it has with gravity at 0.000,000,000,001 kelven

Yes, go to the forum you want to post in. Look for a button called New Thread. Click that button and you're set.

If I could only get the formula or a site that could help explain it would be great. No need to do it for me. Teach me to fish. :-)

Any formula or site provided would be a great help!

Thanks,

-Arkham Angel-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle" should give you the equation you need. Sorry for the useless noise posted before.

Last edited by a moderator:
:bugeye:

I probably sound like a sod, but that is a lot to take in! I see there are a lot of convenient links to explain things in detail though. Wiki is nice.

Thanks for the link. I don't understand some of the material presented in Bernoulli's principle; rather, I don't understand why (yet) :biggrin:.

So the voyage begins! I'll post what I discover when I figure it all out.

What is the concept of water flow?

The concept of water flow refers to the movement of water from one place to another, driven by gravity and other forces such as pressure and surface tension. It plays a crucial role in the Earth's water cycle and is essential for the survival of all living organisms.

What factors affect water flow?

There are several factors that can affect water flow, including the slope or gradient of the land, the amount of water present, the type of soil or surface, and the presence of obstacles such as rocks or vegetation. Human activities such as dams and irrigation systems can also impact water flow.

How is water flow measured?

Water flow can be measured in various ways, depending on the purpose and location. One common method is to use a stream gauge, which measures the volume and speed of water passing through a specific point in a river or stream. Other methods include using flow meters, acoustic Doppler current profilers, and pressure sensors.

What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow refers to a smooth and orderly movement of water, with layers of water flowing parallel to each other. It occurs when the water is moving slowly or in a straight line. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is characterized by chaotic and irregular movement, with water crossing and mixing with different layers. It occurs when the water is moving quickly or encountering obstacles.

How can water flow be controlled?

Water flow can be controlled through various methods, such as building dams and levees, constructing irrigation systems, and using pumps and pipes to redirect water. Additionally, land management practices such as terracing and contouring can help control water flow and prevent erosion. In some cases, natural features such as wetlands and riparian buffers can also help regulate water flow.