Solving Water Hammer Equations: Joukousky vs Wave Equations

• Thread starter rppearso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the author found an article on water hammer and has since increased his math skills. The article discusses the Joukousky equation and how it can be converted to a wave equation. The author then asks why the Joukousky equation needs to be converted and questions whether the first order PDE can be solved directly. The author then goes on to say that for long pipelines and highly viscous flow, the 2D model gives a more realistic view of how high the "local" pressure can become. Finally, the author asks for help with solving the full electromagnetic wave equation and provides a link to a website that discusses the topic.
rppearso
Hello all,

So I found this article on water hammer and I have since beefed up my math skills.

In the attached PDF for some reason they felt the need to convert the Joukousky equation to a wave equation, can't the joukousky equation be solved analytically for pressure vs velocity and then stepped through time?

Why would they need to convert this to a wave equation? Couldn't the first order PDE just be solved directly?

Attachments

• water hammer.pdf
    632.8 KB · Views: 623
Engineering news on Phys.org
the initial equation is in terms of V and P so the equation has to be reduced to a single dependant term in terms of x and t otherwise its not solvable. I just need to rationalize how they get from the water hammer equation to the wave equation. Could a valve Cv equation then be used simultaneously to solve for valve closure/opening time?

What would be the damping term for frictional losses on water pressure waves in a pipe? What about the forcing term of the valve slowly opening/closing?

rppearso said:
Hello all,

So I found this article on water hammer and I have since beefed up my math skills.

In the attached PDF for some reason they felt the need to convert the Joukousky equation to a wave equation, can't the joukousky equation be solved analytically for pressure vs velocity and then stepped through time?

Why would they need to convert this to a wave equation? Couldn't the first order PDE just be solved directly?
( Surprising we don't have someone more knowledge here to help you out, but I will give it a try. )

It can and it gives the pressure peak from the "first wave".

Other transient effects, such as,
other important transient phenomena such as line packing, instantaneous wall shear stress values and the Richardson annular effect
show up with the 2D model.
In fact, for long pipelines, and highly viscous flow, the 2D gives a more realistic view of how high the "local" pressure can become. Joukousky seems to underperform in those situations.

Google some more on hammer to get a better insight.
I did and found and now know much more than I did before.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0307904X07002569
http://www.ksb.com/linkableblob/ksb-pk/80892-193671/data/Druckstoss_Know-how_Band_1_en-data.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Nidum
Awesome, thank you for the help. I found the second link and I think the only way to do a simplified PDE solution is to assume frictionless and a constant forcing term. The moment anything more complicated is introduced it become a finite element problem (which I am just beginning to learn). I know how to solve the 2D wave equation PDE pretty well but that is only the most simplified solution. So it will be another year of reading lol.

Also since we are at it does anyone know how to solve the full electromagntic wave equation which includes current density (for some reason in antenna theory we introduced the concept of "A" in order to solve the problem but I was told it could be solved with Greens functions. Are greens functions similar to Bessel functions in where you are just trying to solve for more complex eigen values?

Seems like a water hammer problem with a simplifed damping term could be solved the same way without going to finite element for simple cases?

1. What is water hammer and why is it important to solve?

Water hammer is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a sudden change in fluid flow in a piping system, resulting in a pressure surge that can cause damage to the system. It is important to solve because it can lead to pipe bursts, equipment damage, and potentially dangerous situations.

2. What is the Joukousky equation and how is it used to solve water hammer equations?

The Joukousky equation is a simplified form of the momentum equation that is used to calculate pressure changes in a piping system due to water hammer. It is based on the principle of conservation of momentum and is commonly used to determine the maximum pressure that can occur during a water hammer event.

3. How does the wave equation differ from the Joukousky equation in solving water hammer equations?

The wave equation takes into account the compressibility of water and the elasticity of the pipe, while the Joukousky equation assumes the water is incompressible and the pipe is rigid. The wave equation is more accurate and can be used for more complex systems, while the Joukousky equation is simpler and easier to use for basic systems.

4. What are the limitations of using the Joukousky equation to solve water hammer equations?

The Joukousky equation is based on several simplifying assumptions, such as the water being incompressible and the pipe being rigid. This may not accurately reflect the real conditions in a piping system and can lead to less accurate results. It also does not take into account the effects of friction and turbulence, which can affect the pressure changes during a water hammer event.

5. Are there any other methods or equations that can be used to solve water hammer equations?

Yes, there are various other methods and equations that can be used to solve water hammer equations, such as the method of characteristics, the method of characteristics with friction, and the method of characteristics with pressure-dependent wave speed. These methods may be more complex and require more detailed information about the system, but they can provide more accurate results in certain situations.