Calculating Rate of Heat Loss from Water

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the rate of heat loss from a body of water with known temperature, ambient air temperature, and mass. The equation Q=mCp(deltaT) can be used to find the total heat lost when the water drops to ambient temperature, and by dividing this value by the time it takes for the water to reach ambient temperature, the rate of heat loss can be determined. However, if there is significant water loss due to evaporation, this calculation may not be accurate.
gerry7
Hi all, I have a (probably very simple) problem that I need some help with. If I have a body of water in which the temperature of the water, ambient air temperature and mass of the water is known; how do I calculate the rate of heat loss from the water?

Using Q=m*cp*(Twater-Tair) I can find out the total heat lost when the water drops to ambient temperature, but how do i calculate the rate at which heat is lost? I should also note that the mass of the water is also dropping due to evaporation and liquid water loss. Can I integrate the above equation knowing the two mass values to get the rate of heat loss?

Or am I going about this completely wrong and need to take into account the surface area of water. (Heat is assumed to be lost equally in all directions)

Thanks,
Gerald

Engineering news on Phys.org
The equation Q=mCpdeltaT will give you the energy lost from the water. This will be in Joules or kJ. If you can record the time it takes the mass of water to reach ambient temp, divide Q by this time to get the rate of energy lost. Units will be Joules/seconds to give Watts.
Regarding the evaporation aspect, if the water is cooling why is this happening? I don't understand this. In any case, if there is not a significant amount of water lost to evaporation, the calculation outlined above will be valid.

Hey thanks for the reply, yeah that's what I thought. I forgot to mention that I have hot air flowing through the water which would be the cause of evaporation.

1. What is the formula for calculating rate of heat loss from water?

The formula for calculating rate of heat loss from water is Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat lost, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do you determine the mass of water for the calculation?

The mass of water can be determined by measuring the volume of water using a graduated cylinder and then multiplying it by the density of water, which is 1 gram per milliliter.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of water and why is it important for this calculation?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. It is important for this calculation because it affects how much heat the water can absorb and how quickly it will lose heat.

4. Why is the change in temperature important for calculating rate of heat loss from water?

The change in temperature is important because it represents the difference between the initial and final temperatures of the water. The larger the change in temperature, the more heat that is being lost from the water.

5. What are some factors that can affect the rate of heat loss from water?

The rate of heat loss from water can be affected by various factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the surrounding temperature, the surface area of the water, the type of container holding the water, and the presence of wind or other external factors.