Water pipes and frigid weather

In summary, the possibility of a water pipe breaking during extended frigid weather is due to the expansion of water when it freezes. This is because the density of ice (0.92 g/mL) is less than the density of water (1g/mL), causing it to take up more volume. In a confined environment like a pipe, this expansion can lead to the pipe splitting or joints breaking. This can be proven by the equation Density = Mass/volume, where a mass of water will result in a 109.6% increase in volume when frozen.
bjoyful
Why is there the possibility of a water pipe breaking if the pipe is left full of water during extended frigid weather?

Physics news on Phys.org
Density = Mass/volume

Density water = 1g/mL
Ice = 0.92 g/mL

you can draw your own conclusion

Because the density of water is greater than ice?

And doesn't it have something to do with water expanding?

I provided you with the equation to prove this...

If a mass of water freezes the ice volume is 109.6% bigger

In a confined environment like a pipe this expansion will still occur and possibly :

split the pipe, break joints etc

<< post edited slightly by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can frigid weather affect water pipes?

In cold temperatures, water inside pipes can freeze and expand, causing the pipes to burst and potentially leading to water damage and expensive repairs.

2. What steps should I take to protect my water pipes during frigid weather?

To prevent frozen pipes, make sure to insulate any exposed pipes and keep the temperature in your home above freezing. You can also leave a faucet dripping to keep water moving and prevent freezing.

3. What should I do if my pipes freeze?

If you suspect your pipes have frozen, turn off the main water supply and attempt to thaw the pipes using a hair dryer or hot water bottle. Do not use an open flame or electric heater, as this can cause the pipes to burst.

4. How can I tell if my water pipes have burst?

If you turn on a faucet and no water comes out, this may be a sign that your pipes have burst. You may also notice water damage or flooding in your home. In either case, it is important to shut off the main water supply and call a plumber for repairs.

5. Can I prevent frozen pipes by leaving the faucets running?

Leaving faucets running at a trickle can help prevent frozen pipes, as the constant flow of water can prevent the water from freezing. However, this can also lead to high water bills, so it is not recommended as a long-term solution.