Watering golf courses could make a surrounding area more humid

In summary, watering golf courses can contribute to increasing humidity in the surrounding area. This is because a significant amount of water used on the golf courses evaporates into the air, potentially creating fog and increasing humidity levels.
dusty8683
i was wondering if watering golf courses could make a surrounding area more humid. the palm springs area in CA has golf courses all around and the golf courses use a million gallons of water to water their golf courses. would that make the palm springs area more humid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it would. Some (maybe a lot) of that water evaporates into the air. I can't say for sure that the effect would be very significant but dumping a lot of water into an area will make the surrounding are more humid!

I think so. I've noticed that in the mornings, there is always fog around the golf courses in my area.

What is the purpose of watering golf courses?

The purpose of watering golf courses is to maintain healthy and lush grass, which is essential for the game of golf. Without proper watering, the grass can become dry, patchy, and unsuitable for playing.

How can watering golf courses affect the surrounding area?

Watering golf courses can make the surrounding area more humid due to the evaporation of water from the grass and soil. This can create a microclimate that is more humid than the surrounding areas.

Does watering golf courses have any negative effects on the environment?

Overwatering golf courses can have negative effects on the environment, such as water waste and runoff that can contaminate nearby bodies of water. However, when done properly, watering golf courses can help maintain a healthy ecosystem for plants and wildlife.

Can the increased humidity from watering golf courses have any benefits?

Yes, the increased humidity from watering golf courses can have several benefits. It can help cool down the surrounding area, provide moisture for plants and wildlife, and reduce air pollution by trapping particles in the air.

Is there a recommended time of day for watering golf courses to maximize the benefit of increased humidity?

The best time to water golf courses is early in the morning when the temperatures are cooler and the wind is calmer. This allows for better absorption of water and reduces the risk of evaporation. Additionally, watering in the morning can help maintain the moisture levels throughout the day, reducing the need for additional watering and conserving water resources.