1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Concept

1. Feb 21, 2005 #1
    There will be no waves for the transerve wave any more after a period of time, why?
    Disturbance is added, it starts to move. Where does the energy lose?
    Why do the particles always try to archieve at their equilibrium level(position)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Consider a mass-spring system that is moving in a regular oscillatory motion. Can you figure out why the oscillation eventually decay? [Hint: think of friction, heat, etc.. etc...]

Zz.

4. Feb 22, 2005 #3
    I can understand the energy loss in longitudinal wave but not transverse wave.
    Please explain it to me.
    Water wave can be transerve wave and longitudinal wave, right?
    What happens if the energy is not totally lost? It rebounds?
    Why do the particles always try to archieve at their equilibrium level(position)?

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4
    please help me

6. Feb 23, 2005 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The oscillation of water transversely IS similar to the mass-spring system! You don't think by having the water molecule being "stretched" and "compressed", even transversely, could add energy to the water itself?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?