Wave equation ( partial differential equations)

In summary: The boundary condition at the left end is that f(0,t) = 0 and f(5,t)=0. This means that the velocity of points on the right end must be equal to zero at those two points.The boundary condition at the middle is that f(0,t) = 5/4 - x/4. This means that the velocity of points on the right end must be subtracted by 5/4 from x/4 at the middle.The boundary condition at the right end is that f(5,t) = 5. This means that the velocity of points on the right end must be added to 5 at the right end.The equation for the shape of
zonedestruct
Consider a string of length 5 which is fixed at its ends at x = 0 and x = 5. The speed of waves along the string is v = 2 and the displacement of points on a string is defined by the function f(x,t). At the initial time the string is pulled into the shape of a triangle, defined by

f(x,0) = x for 0 <= x < 1
f(x,0) = 5/4 - x/4 for 1 <= x <= 5

and then released from rest.

a. What are the 2 initial conditions for this problem?
b. What are the 2 boundary conditions for this problem?
c. Use the method of separation of variables and Fourier methods to find an equation for how the shape of the string changes with time.

How do I do this question, please somebody help me I'm terribly lost its depressing :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that your textbook (or resource or whatever) has the actual wave equation, and the procedure for solving i listed somewhere. I suggest you start there.

Now, as to some helpful hints if you don't happen to have that text available.
-In the problem statement, you noted that the string was clamped down at two ends. Further you mentioned a speed for the string. These are your initial and boundary conditions.
-I suggest you quickly go through this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation
Skip to the section called 'One Space Dimension"

Cheers,
-Malus

Herr Malus said:
I assume that your textbook (or resource or whatever) has the actual wave equation, and the procedure for solving i listed somewhere. I suggest you start there.

Now, as to some helpful hints if you don't happen to have that text available.
-In the problem statement, you noted that the string was clamped down at two ends. Further you mentioned a speed for the string. These are your initial and boundary conditions.
-I suggest you quickly go through this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation
Skip to the section called 'One Space Dimension"

Cheers,
-Malus

I think the boundary conditions are:
f(0,t) = 0 and f(5,t)=0 but I am not sure about the initial conditions can you please tell me what they would be? would one of them possibly be df(x,t)/dt = 2?

zonedestruct said:
I think the boundary conditions are:
f(0,t) = 0 and f(5,t)=0
That's correct.
but I am not sure about the initial conditions can you please tell me what they would be? would one of them possibly be df(x,t)/dt = 2?
That's not correct. Where did you get df(x,t)/dt = 2 from?

What does the word initial imply?

vela said:
That's correct.

That's not correct. Where did you get df(x,t)/dt = 2 from?

What does the word initial imply?

isnt the velocity at all point on the string always going to be 2 do then partialf(x,t)/partial(t) = 2?? what would at least one of them be?

Oh, OK. I see what you're thinking.

If you have a horizontal string, the wave moves down the string, that is, in the horizontal direction, and v=2 (units?) is the speed at which it propagates down the string.

If you look at a single point on the string, it moves vertically. The velocity of each point is called the transverse velocity, and it's given by ∂f/∂t, which, like f, is a function of x and t.

The one of the initial conditions has to do with ∂f/∂t. It has nothing to do with the speed at which the wave moves down the string.

Here's a Flash animation of a wave on a string.

http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/wave-on-a-string/wave-on-a-string_en.html

Set the damping to 0, choose no end for the right end of the string, and set it so you can send a pulse down the string.

When you hit the pulse button, you'll the pulse move down the string. The speed at which it moves down the string corresponds to v=2 in this problem.

If you watch one of the green dots, you'll see it only moves vertically. Its velocity is the transverse velocity ∂f/∂t.

Related to Wave equation ( partial differential equations)

What is the wave equation (partial differential equations)?

The wave equation is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. It is a partial differential equation that relates the second derivative of a wave function to its position and time.

What are the applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as in acoustics, optics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to study the behavior of waves in different mediums and can help predict the propagation of waves in various systems.

What are the boundary conditions for the wave equation?

Boundary conditions for the wave equation typically include the initial value, which describes the starting position and velocity of the wave, and the boundary value, which describes the behavior of the wave at the edges of the system. These conditions are essential for solving the wave equation and obtaining an accurate solution.

What are the solutions to the wave equation?

The solutions to the wave equation depend on the specific boundary conditions and initial values. Some common solutions include standing waves, traveling waves, and damped waves. These solutions can help describe the behavior of waves in different systems and can be used to make predictions about future wave behavior.

How is the wave equation solved?

The wave equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Green's function. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and using mathematical techniques to find a solution. The solution can then be verified using the initial and boundary conditions.