Does the Wave Function Approach Zero at Infinity?

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation where the potential function is real. They say that the wave function and its derivative must be continuous everywhere except at potentials that go to infinity, and that the most sure way to decide is to calculate. They provide a hint that the potential function could be written as a product of two normalized wave functions, and use integration by parts to get a term that goes to 0.
thatguy14

Homework Statement

If I have a wave function that goes to infinity can I assume that the derivative also goes to 0 at infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I think it does is because the wavefunction and its derivative must be continuous everywhere except at potentials that go to infinity. Is this the correct logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this is a little too little information. What is the equation for your wavefunction?

We aren't given any. Some other information which might be helpful though, the wave function is normalized, it is a solution to the time dependent schrodinger equation and the potential function is real. And again it approaches zero as x goes to +- infinity. Is that enough?

Just that in general the most sure way to decide is to calculate. So, what you should do is write down a wavefunction that satisfies the conditions and see what happens if you differentiate it under your stated conditions.

For example, try to solve this one, you will find it interesting:

[itex]\psi(x) = \frac{Asin^{2}x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}[/itex]

I think I see what you are saying. I will give a little more information into what I am trying to do.

The question is:

Consider two normalizable wave functions Ψ1(x, t) and Ψ2(x, t), both of which are solutions
of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation. Assume that the potential function is real.
The functions are normalized, and the functions both approach zero as x goes to ±∞.

Show that these propeties can be used to prove that

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] [itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}[/itex] Ψ1*(x, t)Ψ2(x, t)dx = 0

We get a hint to conert the temporal derivative to the spatial dertivative using the time-dependent schrodinger equation and you get:

[itex]\frac{i\bar{h}}{2m}[/itex] [itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}[/itex] Ψ1*(x, t)[itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/itex]Ψ2(x, t) - Ψ2(x, t)[itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/itex]Ψ1*(x, t)

Then using integration by parts you entually get a term (for one part of the integral) that is

Ψ1*(x, t)[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]Ψ2(x, t) [itex]|^{∞}_{-∞}[/itex]

and I need that to go to 0 or else the rest doesn't really follow through correctly. I justified it by saying that since Ψ2(x, t) goes to 0 and +- infinity then its derivative will go to 0 and +- infinity.

Well, as far as I know, in general it is assumed that

[itex]Lim(x \rightarrow ∞) \frac{∂^{n}ψ}{∂x^{n}} = 0 [/itex]

where n is some positive integer

but it does not necessarily have to be the case. As far as I know it is only an assumption.

Likes 1 person
Okay thank you. I think it is sufficient for my course. I appreciate your time!

1. What is the wave function at infinity?

The wave function at infinity refers to the behavior of a quantum particle's wave function as it approaches an infinite distance from its source or potential. It can also refer to the behavior of the wave function at the edges or boundaries of a system.

2. Why is the wave function at infinity important in quantum mechanics?

The wave function at infinity is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of quantum particles in different systems. It also plays a crucial role in the calculation of probabilities and the prediction of outcomes in quantum experiments.

3. How is the wave function at infinity related to the concept of localization?

The wave function at infinity is closely related to the concept of localization in quantum mechanics. If the wave function at infinity approaches zero, it indicates that the particle is localized and confined to a specific region. On the other hand, a non-zero wave function at infinity suggests that the particle is not localized and has a probability of being found in a larger area.

4. Can the wave function at infinity be measured or observed directly?

No, the wave function at infinity cannot be measured or observed directly. It is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum particles. However, the effects of the wave function at infinity can be observed through experiments and measurements of physical quantities such as position and momentum.

5. How does the wave function at infinity change in different potential energy landscapes?

The wave function at infinity can vary in different potential energy landscapes. In a system with a constant potential, the wave function at infinity will approach zero. In a system with a varying potential, the behavior of the wave function at infinity will depend on the shape and strength of the potential at that point. A deeper potential well will result in a smaller wave function at infinity, while a shallower potential well will result in a larger wave function at infinity.