1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave function of a simple harmonic oscillator

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The ground state wave function of a one-dimensional simple harmonic oscillator is

[tex]\varphi_0(x) \propto e^(-x^2/x_0^2)[/tex], where [tex]x_0[/tex] is a constant. Given that the wave function of this system at a fixed instant of time is [tex] \phi\phi \propto e^(-x^2/y^2)[/tex] where y is another constant., find the probablity, that if the energy is measured , the system will be in the ground state

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] dP=|\varphi_0|^2 dx[/tex]

According to my book(Peebles) , [tex]=|\varphi_0|^2=|\phi_0|^2[/tex];, so therefore [tex] dP=|\phi_0|^2 dx[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2
    anyone still not understand my question?

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    hello noble,
    i'm wondering if you take the integral of your state function from 0 to infinity then divide that result the integral of your ground state function from 0-infinity will you get a function dependent on energy, whereas you could use an energy sample at any time to give the probability?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook