Wave-function solution under Galilean transformations

In summary: It is easy to see that the two functions \bar{V}(\bar{x},\bar{t}) and V(x,t) must be equal, since they have the same values at the same points in space and time. Therefore, the potential is unchanged under these transformations, and this is consistent with the Galilean invariance of the Schrödinger equation.
Happiness
How do we get (5.381)?

The term involving ##V## in (5.378) is ##V(r' + vt, t)\ \Psi(r' + vt, t)##. After dividing on both sides of (5.378) by the exponential term ##e^{[i(mv.r' + mv^2t/2)/\hbar]}## [which appears in (5.379)], the term becomes ##V(r' + vt, t)\ \Psi(r', t)##. But the term as given in (5.380) is ##V'(r', t)\ \Psi(r', t)##. This means that we must have ##V'(r', t) = V(r' + vt, t) = V(r, t)##, which contradicts (5.381).

I've worked out the other terms and they are correct.

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 3.18.03 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 3.18.17 am.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right. Under Galileian transformations one should have
$$V'(\vec{r}',t')=V(\vec{r},t)=V(\vec{r}'+\vec{v} t',t'),$$
because
$$\vec{r}=\vec{r}'+\vec{v} t', \quad \vec{p}=\vec{p}'+m \vec{v}, \quad t=t'.$$

Likes bhobba and Happiness
vanhees71 said:
I think you are right. Under Galileian transformations one should have
$$V'(\vec{r}',t')=V(\vec{r},t)=V(\vec{r}'+\vec{v} t',t'),$$
because
$$\vec{r}=\vec{r}'+\vec{v} t', \quad \vec{p}=\vec{p}'+m \vec{v}, \quad t=t'.$$

Is there an explanation (intuitive or otherwise) how $$\vec{r}=\vec{r}'+\vec{v} t', \quad \vec{p}=\vec{p}'+m \vec{v}, \quad t=t'$$ implies or is consistent with $$V'(\vec{r}',t')=V(\vec{r},t)$$? I mean apart from doing the calculations after substituting (5.379) into (5.378).

Happiness said:
Is there an explanation (intuitive or otherwise) how $$\vec{r}=\vec{r}'+\vec{v} t', \quad \vec{p}=\vec{p}'+m \vec{v}, \quad t=t'$$ implies or is consistent with $$V'(\vec{r}',t')=V(\vec{r},t)$$? I mean apart from doing the calculations after substituting (5.379) into (5.378).
Because the potential is a scalar function of the coordinates and time, i.e., its value stay the same if you transform it. Suppose you have the following non-singular transformations
[tex]\bar{x} = f(x), \ \ \ \bar{t} = g(t) .[/tex]
Since the transformations are non-singular, you can solve for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex]:
[tex]x = f^{-1}(\bar{x}) , \ \ \ t = g^{-1}(\bar{t}) .[/tex]
Now, substitute the solutions in the original potential function
[tex]V(x,t) = V(f^{-1}(\bar{x}) , g^{-1}(\bar{t}) ) ,[/tex]
and call the new function on the right-hand-side [itex]\bar{V}(\bar{x},\bar{t})[/itex].

Likes vanhees71, Happiness and bhobba

1. What is the wave-function solution under Galilean transformations?

The wave-function solution under Galilean transformations refers to the mathematical description of how a quantum system's wave function changes under the Galilean transformations of time and space. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that allows us to understand the behavior of particles in different reference frames.

2. Why is it important to study wave-function solutions under Galilean transformations?

Studying wave-function solutions under Galilean transformations is important because it helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems in different inertial frames of reference. This is essential for accurately predicting and describing the behavior of particles, especially at high speeds where classical mechanics breaks down.

3. What are some examples of Galilean transformations?

Galilean transformations include translations in space and time, as well as rotations and boosts (changes in velocity). For example, if an observer is moving at a constant velocity, a Galilean transformation would describe how the wave function of a particle appears to change in their reference frame.

4. How does the wave-function solution change under Galilean transformations?

The wave-function solution changes under Galilean transformations through the addition of a phase factor and a change in the wave function's amplitude. This phase factor accounts for the relative velocity between the different reference frames, while the change in amplitude reflects the change in the observer's point of view.

5. Are there any limitations to the wave-function solution under Galilean transformations?

Yes, there are limitations to the wave-function solution under Galilean transformations. This approach is only valid for non-relativistic systems where the speeds involved are much slower than the speed of light. For systems at high speeds, the wave-function solution must be described using the more comprehensive theory of relativity.