Wave functions and probabilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of volume and probability in relation to the formula P=\left|\Psi \right| ^{2}dV. It is noted that the volume should be multiplied by 4/3 or 12\pi r^{2}dr, rather than 4, and the derivative of P should be taken without the dr term.
kidsmoker

Homework Statement

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9268/29360438.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]P=\left|\Psi \right| ^{2}dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so [tex]r^{2} = x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\left|\Psi \right| ^{2} = A^{2}e^{-2\alpha r^{2}}[/tex] .

The volume of the of the bit we're interested in should be

[tex]dV = 4\pi(r+dr)^{3} - 4\pi r^{3} \approx 12\pi r^{2}dr[/tex] if we ignore the [tex](dr)^{2}[/tex] and [tex](dr)^{3}[/tex] terms. Have I done something wrong here, as I was expecting to just end up with [tex]4\pi r^{2}dr[/tex]?

Assuming it's correct, the probability is then

[tex]P = A^{2}e^{-2 \alpha r^{2}}12\pi r^{2}dr[/tex] .

To find where this has a maximum value, would I set [tex]\frac{dP}{dr}=0[/tex] and then find the corresponding r values? But how do I take the derivative when there's a dr term in there? :confused:

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kidsmoker! :smile:
kidsmoker said:
The volume of the of the bit we're interested in should be

[tex]dV = 4\pi(r+dr)^{3} - 4\pi r^{3} \approx 12\pi r^{2}dr[/tex] if we ignore the [tex](dr)^{2}[/tex] and [tex](dr)^{3}[/tex] terms. Have I done something wrong here, as I was expecting to just end up with [tex]4\pi r^{2}dr[/tex]?

Yup! :biggrin:

4 is for areas

try 4/3 ! :wink:

(or just multiply the area by dr)

tiny-tim said:
Hi kidsmoker! :smile:

Yup! :biggrin:

4 is for areas

try 4/3 ! :wink:

(or just multiply the area by dr)

Oh yeah, hahaha, i always get that wrong!

So we have [tex]P = A^{2}e^{-2 \alpha r^{2}}4\pi r^{2}dr[/tex] then what happens to the dr when i take the derivative? :s

Thanks.

kidsmoker said:
… what happens to the dr when i take the derivative?

Just ignore it :wink: … it's a constant

think of it as called something other than dr! :rolleyes:

What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the behavior of a quantum mechanical system. It is represented by a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location and state.

What is the relationship between wave functions and probabilities?

Wave functions are used to calculate the probabilities of finding a particle in a particular location and state. The square of the wave function represents the probability density of finding the particle in a specific location, and the total probability of finding the particle in all possible locations is equal to one.

How do wave functions change over time?

In quantum mechanics, wave functions evolve over time according to the Schrödinger equation. This equation describes how the wave function changes in response to the potential energy of the system. As time passes, the wave function spreads out and becomes more diffuse.

What is the superposition principle?

The superposition principle states that if a quantum system can exist in multiple states, then the wave function of the system can be expressed as a linear combination of these states. This allows for the possibility of interference between different states, leading to complex wave functions and probabilities.

What is the role of wave functions in quantum mechanics?

Wave functions play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they provide a complete description of a quantum system. They allow us to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.