1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave funtions

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    I am to show that neither of the two wave functions [tex]\psi_1 (x,t) = M_1 e^{kx-\omega t}[/tex] and [tex]\psi_2 (x,t) = M_2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex] solve the de Broglie form of Schr. Eqn:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}[/tex]

for the first wave, i got:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} M_1 k^2 e^{kx-wt}=-i \omega \hbar M_1 e^{kx-\omega t}[/tex]

for the second wave, i got:
    [tex]\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} M_2 k^2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}= \omega \hbar M_2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex]

i was just wondering if I did these differentiation correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you did the differentiations correctly. I am confused by your task to show that neither function satisfies the Schrodinger equation when in fact both do as you have just shown

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3
    well, all I have to do is to show that they are not equal. Because if i simplify both of those equations, do not get the de Broglie relation of: [tex]\hbar \omega = \frac{\hbar ^2 k^2}{2m}[/tex]

5. Mar 6, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author

What do you mean...? You do get the deBroglie relation

[tex]p=\hbar k [/tex]

and so [tex] E=\frac{p^{2}}{2m} [/tex]

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?