Light Polarization at the Beach: Understanding Sunbathers' Vision

In summary, the conversation discusses the partial polarization of light at a beach due to reflections off sand and water. The conversation then moves on to the use of polarizing sunglasses and poses two questions regarding the fraction of light intensity reaching the sunbather's eyes in different scenarios. The conversation also mentions the use of an equation and suggests using the Pythagorean theorem and Malus' Law to find the solution.
reising1

Homework Statement

At a beach the light is generally partially polarized due to reflections off sand and water. At a particular beach on a particular day near sundown, the horizontal component of the electric field vector is 1.8 times the vertical component. A standing sunbather puts on polarizing sunglasses; the glasses eliminate the horizontal field component. (a) What fraction of the light intensity received before the glasses were put on now reaches the sunbather's eyes? (b) The sunbather, still wearing the glasses, lies on his side. What fraction of the light intensity received before the glasses were put on now reaches his eyes?

I'm really confused and I'm sure I am thinking too hard. Can anyone get me started?

I know there is an equation
I = (I not)(cos squared theta)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Pythagorean theorem to add the component Intensities and find the angle and magnitude of the total intensity. Then find the angle between the intensity vector and the sunglasses. Then use Malus' Law.

Same applies for part b) with just a slight twist.

Related to Light Polarization at the Beach: Understanding Sunbathers' Vision

1. What is light polarization?

Light polarization is the process by which light waves vibrate in a specific orientation. This is caused by the interaction of light with certain materials or surfaces, such as water or sand at the beach.

2. How does light polarization affect vision at the beach?

Light polarization can affect vision at the beach by reducing glare and improving contrast. This allows for better visibility of objects, especially in bright sunlight. It can also enhance colors and make the view more visually appealing.

3. Why do some people wear polarized sunglasses at the beach?

Some people wear polarized sunglasses at the beach to reduce the amount of glare and improve their vision. This can make it easier to see objects in the water, such as fish or rocks, and can also reduce eye strain and fatigue.

4. Are all sunglasses polarized?

No, not all sunglasses are polarized. Polarized sunglasses have a special filter that blocks out certain light waves to reduce glare and improve vision. Non-polarized sunglasses may still offer UV protection, but they do not have the same effect on reducing glare.

5. Can light polarization be harmful to the eyes?

No, light polarization is not harmful to the eyes. In fact, polarized sunglasses can provide protection from harmful UV rays. However, it is important to note that polarized sunglasses may not be suitable for all activities, such as skiing or flying, as they can affect depth perception and distort certain objects.