Wave Length that gives minimum velocity?

In summary: Can somebody please help? :cry:In summary, the answer to the homework question is that the length of the wave that gives the minimum velocity is 1/KU.

Homework Statement

The velocity of a wave of length L in deep water is v = K square root of (L/C + C/L)
where K and C are known positive constants. What is the length of the wave that gives the minimum velocity?

Homework Equations

Possibly a(t) = v'(t) = s"(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to work the question but here is my best guess...
Can I just cancel L with L and C with C (inside the square root) and be left with v = K.
Next, to find the length, can I just find the antiderivative of the velocity, like this: v(t) = Kt + C.

How do I workout this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 01010011! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The question is asking for the minimum of (L/C + C/L), where C is a constant. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

The question is asking for the minimum of (L/C + C/L), where C is a constant. :wink:

Thanks for the welcome. Well I was thinking the answer was 0 because the Ls and Cs cancel out each other, but I am not sure

They don't cancel (why do you think they would? :confused:)

Try differentiating. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
They don't cancel (why do you think they would? :confused:)

Try differentiating. :smile:

Differentiating v = K square root of (L/C + C/L)? I thought I could just cancel the Ls and Cs. Here is another attempt:

v = k square root (L/C + C/L)

v(t) = s'(t)

v(t) = k square root [(L*C^-1) + (C*L^-1)] + C

v(t) = k * [(L*C^-1) + (C*L^-1)] ^ (1/2) + C

s(t) = k * {[(L*C^-1) + (C*L^-1)] ^ (3/2)} / 3/2 + C + D

This looks like madness. I am sure this is not correct.
What steps (and why) should I take to answer questions like this?

tiny-tim said:

Right, since C is a constant, the smallest value C can be is 0, So...

01010011 said:
Differentiating v = K square root of (L/C + C/L)? I thought I could just cancel the Ls and Cs. Here is another attempt:

v = k square root (L/C + C/L)

v(t) = s'(t)

v(t) = k square root [(L*C^-1) + (C*L^-1)] + C

v(t) = k * [(L*C^-1) + (C*L^-1)] ^ (1/2) + C

s(t) = k * {[(L*C^-1) + (C*L^-1)] ^ (3/2)} / 3/2 + C + D

This looks like madness. I am sure this is not correct.
What steps (and why) should I take to answer questions like this?

Nooo, this is a mess. :redface:

i] s has nothing to do with it, the fact that v is a velocity has nothing to do with it, all you have to do is find the minimum of (L/C + C/L), where C is a constant

ii] why are you trying to minimise the square-root? the square-root is a minimum if and only if the whole thing is a minimum, so minimise the whole thing, it's easier! :wink:

iii] you haven't used the chain rule at all … look it up in your book :smile:

01010011 said:
Right, since C is a constant, the smallest value C can be is 0, So...

erm :redface: … that doesn't even make sense, does it?

get some sleep! :zzz:​

tiny-tim said:
Nooo, this is a mess. :redface:

i] s has nothing to do with it, the fact that v is a velocity has nothing to do with it, all you have to do is find the minimum of (L/C + C/L), where C is a constant

ii] why are you trying to minimise the square-root? the square-root is a minimum if and only if the whole thing is a minimum, so minimise the whole thing, it's easier! :wink:

iii] you haven't used the chain rule at all … look it up in your book :smile:

erm :redface: … that doesn't even make sense, does it?

get some sleep! :zzz:​

Ok, I got some much needed sleep lol!

Alright, let me try again:

v = K square root of (L/C + C/L)
dy/dx?
Let U = square root of (L/C + C/L)
V = KU
V = 1KU^(1-1)
V = K

hmmm...

What is a wave length that gives minimum velocity?

The wave length that gives minimum velocity is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase with each other. It is typically measured in meters (m) or nanometers (nm).

How is the wave length that gives minimum velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating the wave length that gives minimum velocity is λ = v/f, where λ is the wave length, v is the velocity of the wave, and f is the frequency of the wave.

How does the wave length that gives minimum velocity affect the speed of a wave?

The wave length that gives minimum velocity has an inverse relationship with the speed of a wave. This means that as the wave length decreases, the speed of the wave increases, and vice versa.

Can the wave length that gives minimum velocity be changed?

Yes, the wave length that gives minimum velocity can be changed by altering the frequency or the velocity of the wave. This can be done through various means such as changing the medium through which the wave travels or altering the source of the wave.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the wave length that gives minimum velocity?

Understanding the wave length that gives minimum velocity is important in fields such as telecommunications, where it is crucial to control the speed and frequency of waves for efficient communication. It is also important in fields like acoustics, where the properties of sound waves are studied and applied in various technologies.